Indicator light?

/ Indicator light? #1  

dhattaway

Tractor
Branson 4520C
F93BA368-FC82-46CA-BBD1-275932006851.jpeg
Anybody know what this indicator is for? It pops up at random and I can稚 find it in the manual

/ Indicator light? #2  
Yes that is the DOC filter warning light.

It usually starts blinking slowly for a partial filter restriction. Then as the blockage increases, the blinking quickens, to eventually become steady on.

You need to run the beee-geezuss out of that engine to get the DOC canister hot enough to burn off that internal soot. It's going to clog up eventually.

Lots of threads on this one, most of us have been through it, we can help further if you need it.

And for the "Permanent Solution":

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/century-branson/409434-exhaust-mod-my-3725-a.html

/ Indicator light?
Thanks Slowpoke Slim for the quick response. Lately it's only been running an hour or so at a time. So, I guess that would contribute to the problem.

/ Indicator light? #4  
If the light comes on when starting and takes a few seconds to go out after the engine starts, I think that's normal.

Running for an hour at a time is fine. But you need to work it hard enough for long enough to get the DOC/DPF hot. Also don't leave it idling for long periods. Diesels don't throttle the air like gas engines, the full flow is going through at all times. Engine speed and power is controlled by the amount of fuel injected. Idling only takes a tiny amount of fuel. At idle there's a lot of air passing through the DOC/DPF at idle but not much heat from combustion. So the soot accumulates because the DOC/DPF is not hot enough to burn it off.

I run a PTO chipper for about 1/4 of my operating hours and that seems to be enough to keep it clean. Also it does not get that cold here, it's rare to be operating the tractor at less than about 45 degees ambient. If it's really cold that will make it that much harder to get the DOC/DPF up to temp.

Per the shop manual:

Blinking every 2 seconds: Danger Level "Check". Go to service shop for an inspection. Carry out cleaning of DPF.
Blinking every half second: Danger level "Caution". Go to service shop for an inspection. Check sensor in service shop.
Solid on: Danger level "Emergency". Stop car and engine if lamp light blinks while driving. Call customer service. Caution: DPF could be damaged if you keep driving while lamp blinks.

Yea, pretty useless translation but there it is.

/ Indicator light? #5  
In my case, it wasn't enough to just run the rpms up, there had to be a load on the engine. So, in winter time, the only way I could put a load on the engine was to "road" my tractor, driving it up and back on a graded gravel road about a mile and a half long. I would do this in High range on the HST, and go flat out (such as it is), to put as much load on the engine as possible. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 trips for the light to go out and stay out.

In summer, it would get hot enough while brush hogging to not be a problem.

But then again, it's also frequently -30F to -40F in winter (not this year) which makes it really difficult (ok, impossible really) to get that DPF/DOC filter hot enough to do what it's supposed to do.

If you have a place to do it safely, maybe try roading your tractor for a couple of miles?

/ Indicator light? #6  
You can also cover your grill in cold weather to help the engine get to temperature better.

/ Indicator light? #7  
I am glad you posted this. I have been having the same problem. I have tried running it up and down the road, bush hogging, etc. And I just cannot get the light to stop coming on! It is a bit frustrating. I feel a bit upset that my only real solution is to gut the can, pay some to clean it which cost $250 and does not fix the problem or do a full delete that is going to cost me $200. Are those honestly my only options? Another thing I was thinking. Could there be something in the tailpipe causing this? A mouse nest or something? It only comes on at high RPM. I was using my tractor to haul some logs from down the road and noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in power as I was pulling them home. Something has to be done!

/ Indicator light?
So I tried some cleaning and stuff over the weekend. Fail! Light's still coming on. So, if I decide to gut it, do I just need to gut the removable can in the center? Or do I need to gut the back section as well?

/ Indicator light? #9  
There are several Branson members here that have "gutted" their canister. Hopefully one will be along with a detailed explanation of what they did. I think all you need to do is open it up and take out the screens, but since I went a different way, I can't speak from experience there. I do know from talking to my own dealer at the time, that if I brought it in, it would be covered under my warranty for either cleaning or replacing. I think my dealer said he would have ordered a new one to put in my tractor, sent my old one off to be cleaned, and then kept my old one as a future replacement for someone else if needed.

By then I had pretty much made up my mind to delete mine, so I never did take him up on it. But if you're tractor is still under warranty, I'd call your dealer and let him "deal" with it.

/ Indicator light? #10  
In my case, it wasn't enough to just run the rpms up, there had to be a load on the engine.
I don't have enough experience to know if this is the case with many/most diesel engines but it seems like my Branson prefers to run with a load. While I've not had issues with my soot cooker we've spoken about that noise that sounds almost like rocker arm/lifter ticking which I get at about 2100 rpm unloaded. When I load the engine or lower the rpm the noise disappears.