Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #71  
A huge percentage of those that do commit crimes do not pay taxes. Things are really backwards.
Yeah but the lawyers get paid.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #72  
When people say that they have had a hard time with the IRS, not that any one here has said this, I have to wonder. I've had several encounters with the IRS, and each time they were very professional, and nice people, and figured out the clerical error on their part and once on my part: No problem at all. I like paying taxes. They pay for stuff I, and my community use. :)

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #73  
My county offers a 5% discount if property taxes are paid in full on the due date, the first week in November. I have my RMDs scheduled for October and write the check.
They claimed that it was illegal to do so here in Quebec so I write them as many postdated checks as they permit. OK, interest is minimal these days but I get to keep it, as little as it may be.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #75  
   / Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #76  
When I owned a business I one year got audited by every level of Govt, Federal, Provincial and had the city on my back as well. Oh, and customs/excise as well.
I had to provide the auditor a private room to do his work.
My opening comment was that he'd not find anything but he claimed he always found many times his cost.
Well after about 3 weeks of occupying my office space he handed me a bill for (forget exact$) but like $40. or so.
Reluctantly I paid it.

It was for oil used in oil cans to lubricate small parts!

I stated that as a fuel vendor all fuels and oils were taxed at source and that I was then double taxing the client, besides I always had 'misc. shop supplies' (like $10.00) on each invoice and that that it was taxed.
I cut the check reluctantly just to be rid of him!

Sad, but he could still claim he won as I agreed to pay.
Simply, court costs to fight $40. was just stupid.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #77  
My County in Washington State charges more because I pay in automatic electronic monthly transfers. 😫
I don't know if it's statewide, but my town adds a surcharge if I pay my taxes online. Ditto for auto registration. Thanks but no thanks.
I wonder how many US states charge for efiling the state income tax return. Here in CA, efiling your 540 return using TurboTax costs a huge premium ($25), versus printing and snail-mailing (less than $1).

Seems to me states should encourage efiling.
I use HR Block software, and I believe it includes one state e-file. Not that it does me any good, my state doesn't have an income tax, but some of my income (via 1099) comes from Vermont which does. Unfortunately, for some reason non-residents can't e-file there (and their tax calculations are rather complicated...especially for a non-resident who only gets a small percentage of their income from businesses in their state).
I used TT for many years, but the price went up so much I switched to HRB...same functionality, less pricey.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #78  
I don't know if it's statewide, but my town adds a surcharge if I pay my taxes online. Ditto for auto registration. Thanks but no thanks.
Texas is that way, it's only $1 or $2 but this year (and I think last year) they were discounting it online (basically it waived the fee).
If you ever had to wait in the DMV line for an hour or more then you will be happy just to pay the fee for the convenience.

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #79  
You can be like my son-in-law……Work for cash and not file! 👎🏻

/ Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own? #80  
If you ever had to wait in the DMV line for an hour or more then you will be happy just to pay the fee for the convenience.
Here in N.H. you don't need to go to the DMV to register a vehicle, the city/town can handle the state part of the registration too, I think it's $2 more per vehicle, but it'd cost almost that much in gas to go the the DMV office several towns away. Only need to go to the DMV is to renew your license or a specialty registration (antique vehicle, etc.).