Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #881  
A friend really wants the ripper tooth, but does not want to pay $300-400 for it. I love my ripper tooth; it is a very handy accessory.

I won't be buying the rotating log grapple from China. My biggest concerns, without seeing it first hand, is its quality, and the loss of lifting height.
I will have a few sets of 3 or 4 attachments to sell. Not sure about ship though and that's months away.

Be on the lookout at auction - local to me yesterday they auctioned 5 total sets of the basics (separately). Ripper and basic stuff as low as 100 at first. Then the bidding wars started haha. Machines were going for ebay delivered prices sheesh

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
Kinda hated the foot pedals, no precision. Recognize my new levers? Fiskars brand lol.

Very innovative, JAY

I find that the left-side hand lever to actuate the thumb, while using the right hand joystick to actuate the bucket cylinder allows good feathering control for grapple work.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #883  
Been awhile. Looks like the thread has exploded , glad to see it. Im going to import either a 2.6 or 3 ton machine. Rhinos are looking the best . Anyone else done any research ? AGT has a STR-35 but once bitten twice shy.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China
AGT has a STR-35 but once bitten twice shy.

Our local monthly auction always seems to have a few new 3-4T Chinese units. and the max bids are usually under $15K. Some are AGT, and the others I don't know who makes them. All seem to have Yanmar or Kubota diesels, servo controls, swing boom, adjustable track. I suspect the importer is taking a loss on these, too.

Good luck, and report what you get.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #885  
Does anyone have a shipping agent they can recommend?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #886  
Pm'd
2 to 4t unit namebrand used at auction would be my consideration.

You start getting 15 - +20k for chinese and there's STILL no real documentation or parts info. And still kinda subpar controls etc etc. They say rexroth piston pump but only stat given is flow. Couldn't find a rexroth with that flow . . . .
Would want proper pilot and pilot/solenoid switch for blade/thumb and accurate info on pump/hydro system for starters.

2 decent tak 216's (4k lbs) just went near me for 11 and 13k. 1500 and ~2k hours.
And for chinese stuff- the auctions constantly sell for less than low volume imported cost.

Perhaps Ltmg or Rippa would be worth a check in that range for import, but I remain doubtful. Really tired of the poor communication- does not inspire confidence, and the fact they rely on that for so much instead of proper documentation is just dumb.

Last edited:
   / Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #887  
Ok, a Cab'd 2017 Tak TB260, just sold here in Canada @ Auction for $46000 CDN, you are saying you can find the locally for $15-20K US?

There also was a CFG STE35SR New @ the same Sale, sold for $35000CDN.

So you would buy the 6 year old, 2000hr Takeuchi before the New Chinese Knock Off, for $11000 more?

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #888  
The first Tak was 1500 hr and relatively clean. 11k. 2nd one was less perceived value.
Tb216 (4k lb) 1500hr heck yeah. I didn't check it was plumbed for aux, but those machines come stock with about the best hydro capacity of anything. And watch for the high flow.

A tb260 is 3 times bigger yes? And probably close to double a "stresser" (lol).
If buying over 4tons (much heavier and it's CDL territory), I'd go toward a 10ton prob, ok shape older for 30 to 40k. That would be if ya got alot of play space and hire transport for the rare occasion.

the 4 ton tak was high 20's low 30's I think. 4's are in demand, I can make do with a 2 ish ton.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #889  
So you would buy the 6 year old, 2000hr Takeuchi before the New Chinese Knock Off, for $11000 more?
Yes and I did.

/ Importing and modifying a new mini excavator from China #890  
Ok, a Cab'd 2017 Tak TB260, just sold here in Canada @ Auction for $46000 CDN, you are saying you can find the locally for $15-20K US?

There also was a CFG STE35SR New @ the same Sale, sold for $35000CDN.

I absolutely would buy the used Tackuchi over the China excavator.