I'm a &*%# idiot...

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
That said, in my defense, I do follow the instructions to a "T".

idiot.png

Oil change, new Ferris zero turn. My local dealer told me between 5-15 hours being new, change the oil, then I'm good to go to next interval.

Saturday, had a little mowing around the house to do before I had to be at a funeral in the afternoon, mower was on 10 hours and wanted to knock it out quickly before hand (oil change).

I follow the instructions, thinking to myself, man if they only gave you a couple more inches of hose, this would be SO much easier (there is a small cut out in the frame to angle the hose directly down).

Thing is, I no matter how I tried, with the hose in the downward position into the drain pan, I could NOT get that dang nut off to release the oil (first engine where it had the drain hose like this for me). There just wasn't enough room to loosen that nut with two wreches and I could not get a good enough grip with one wrench and my bare hand.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a dummy, so, I call my dealer and ask him what the heck is the trick to get that cap off because I'm starting to mumble some choice words to myself.

He laughs a little and informs me that he found if you bring the hose straight up in the air first to loosen the cap (much easier to get both hands with wrenches on the nut) THEN angle it down into the drain pan, no problem.

He was right:laughing:

I was telling my wife what an idiot I was last night on our walk and she just chuckled and mentioned this is where you can tell that the technical writer who wrote the instructions never did it themselves.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #2  
Just curious. What engine do you have?

I have a Kawasaki 850V on my ZTR. It has a device similar to this for draining oil. I can open the drain using a screwdriver in a slot on the "nut." I route a short length of garden hose from the outlet to a pan.

drain plug.jpeg

Steve

Last edited:
   / I'm a &*%# idiot... #3  
Same on my Z, I took the hose off loosened the nut and then put the hose back on.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot...
Just curious. What engine do you have?

I have a Kawasaki 850V on my ZTR. It has a device similar to this for draining oil. I can open the drain using a screwdriver in a slot on the "nut." I route a small length of garden hose from the outlet to a pan.

View attachment 551810

Steve

Briggs & Stratton 27HP.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #5  
First hydraulic oil change on my M6040 - 15 gallons +two quarts. I got four - five gallon plastic buckets ready. Then - thank God - I realized how VERY DIFFICULT it was going to be to move a full bucket of hot oil out from under the tractor and position a new bucket without oil going everywhere.

Fortunately - my wife makes quilts and had several large Tupperware "quilt tubs". Each is 20 gallon capacity and one worked just great.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #6  
Fortunately - my wife makes quilts and had several large Tupperware "quilt tubs". Each is 20 gallon capacity and one worked just great.

My wife makes quilts too. I applaud you for being able to get one of her quilt tubs away from her! Obviously it's yours to keep now. Just replace it with a new one. :laughing:

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #7  
Yes - she was very understand about the entire matter. I took her to the "quilting store" in Spokane - a new tub or two and more supplies.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #8  
What's a tub cost?

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #9  
What's a tub cost?

I went to the "dollar store" and got a 62 quart tub that fits under my Kioti. It was a buck or two, I can't remember, but it wasn't much. It holds the 11 gallons from the Kioti quite well, and is low enough to fit easily underneath the drain plug.

/ I'm a &*%# idiot... #10  
I went to the "dollar store" and got a 62 quart tub that fits under my Kioti. It was a buck or two, I can't remember, but it wasn't much. It holds the 11 gallons from the Kioti quite well, and is low enough to fit easily underneath the drain plug.

That's the answer I was looking for, for the tractor I have, etc. Thanks!:thumbsup: Now, how much to come to my house and do the drain and refill - I'll supply the HST 'UTF'?