IH 574 pto problems

/ IH 574 pto problems #1  

Slfutrell

Tractor
IH 574
I just purchased a IH 574. Should the pto turn when my tractor is not running? It turns almost a complete turn. If it's engaged or not! When I start the tractor it will not turn. Even when the lever is engaged.

/ IH 574 pto problems #2  
That sounds like exactly how my 584 PTO works,,,

Right%20Rear_zpswiul2rok.jpg

/ IH 574 pto problems
So your pto isn't working either CADplans

/ IH 574 pto problems #4  
So your pto isn't working either CADplans

I did not see the "lever engaged" comment,,
mine does work when the lever is moved,,, otherwise, the locked positions you describe are the same,,,

/ IH 574 pto problems #5  
I just purchased a IH 574. Should the pto turn when my tractor is not running? It turns almost a complete turn. If it's engaged or not! When I start the tractor it will not turn. Even when the lever is engaged.
When engine is running and the PTO is NOT engaging oildrag will take the intenal plate to the internal stop. If you force it anti-clockwise you will be able to turn it for that almost a turn.

/ IH 574 pto problems #6  

I had the same tractor, only an industrial model called the IH2500b.

If you start the tractor and engage the PTO lever, the PTO shaft should turn. If it doesn't, something is wrong. With the engine off and the wheels blocked and the parking brake engaged, move the range selector around back and forth between L, N, and H ranges back and forth several times. Put it in N. Then move the PTO lever back and forth several times, then leave it in the disengaged or OFF position. Start up the machine. Move the PTO lever to the engaged or ON position and observe the PTO shaft. If it still isn't moving, I'd first turn everything off again and start looking at the linkage for that lever to make sure it hasn't become disconnected from anything. I'd have to look at my manuals to see how its connected.