ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue )

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
some backstory 1st

Ok.. wifes a teacher.. this week they took printers away from all the teachers, with all printing now going to the central office. many reasons... 1, they had quite a colelction of printers of different ages and ink types and no longer wanted to support all those different ink types when ordering supplies.. plus some (many) were aging and needing replacement... instead.. one big printer inthe central office. Ok.. sounds efficient.. but now with this.. teachers can't easilly control their printing needs. IE. if you need that 1 more handout in class for that extra large class etc. you now are stuck. no way to print it and run a block downt he road laving class to get the document and get back, and still teacht he kids something in a 30m class. add to that they now limit the teachers to some low arbitrary limit .. say 100 pages a week.. used to be.. if the teachers wanted more than that they could pay for it at the office.. OR.. simply bring in their own paper and buy their own ink.. now.. that is not possible. you get your quota and that is it.. period. can't even opt to keep your old printer and keep feeding it.. they are removing all drivers from all workstations. can't opt to bring in your own printer and add it to t he school network either.. As of this week, most teachers answers to this issue was to just bring their laptop or netbooks or spare pc to work with them along with their own printer, and set it up on their desk and just 'thumbdrive' over documents they need printed to their private machine. ( administration has not prevented them from doing this )

Now.. ok.. we have a small surplus dell winxp machine that a parent brought in for the classroom.. it's like a dell 2400 i think.. pentium 4.. I put 2g ram in it. it had old IE6 in it.. I need to get a newer IE on it.. had it at home and started IE 8 install on it.. seemed to be taking forever with not much progress.. though mouse still moved.. had to leave it like that and go to work.. doing a double tonight.

wen i get home i'll see if it actually kept installing.. or errored out.

are there any known problems i am apt to encounter with a ie 6 to ie 8 jump? I saw no option for ie7.. and ie 9 is not for xp as i understand it... I logged onto MS site, and ie 8 is what it auto id'd for the pc..e tc.

if it did hang.. any advice? retry install? or is there a way to d/l the full ie 8 archive file and install it instead of the online install?

thanks

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue ) #2  
I'd download via chrome first and make sure xp has sp3.

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue )
yep.. sure looks like it should meet the specs. Way surprised to see it still using ie6

I could barely get it on any internet site.. most things don't support anything before 7.. adn some whine about 8 even.. :)

yep.. sure looks like it should meet the specs. Way surprised to see it still using ie6

I could barely get it on any internet site.. most things don't support anything before 7.. adn some whine about 8 even.. :)

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue ) #6  
Hmmmm ... I think you're borrowing trouble. IE8 should be fine on XP but, as stated above, it will not be fully functional online. You'd be better off using Firefox or something else ... in fact, you would ALWAYS be better off using Firefox :)

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue ) #7  
If you are using the old Dell in the classroom to just print documents, what is the primary reason you need IE 8 installed? If it still has IE 6, it probably does not have all the security patches from Microsoft on it anyway. If you really need an internet browser, as others have said, see if Chrome or Firefox will install for you. How much hard drive space is available and what other software packages are installed? Has it been checked and cleaned of any viruses since they are so old and "dumped" to the school from someone who wanted a tax writeoff?

/ ie 8 install on xp ( stalling during install issue ) #8  
Download CCleaner (it runs stand-alone)
CCleaner | DownloadInfo - We Review Software!
Download Auslogics disk defragger and install
Download Auslogics Disk Defrag Free
Boot it in safe mode.
Rick click on My Computer and choose properties.
Go to advanced tab.
Go to settings.
On visual effects tab choose "Adjust for best performance"
On Advanced tab Change the virtual memory to NO PAGING FILE and SET.
OK OK OK out of there.
Run CCleaner and remove all of the crap.
Run CCleaner again and choose the registry option.
Scan it for issues and fix all of the issues.
Keep re-running the registry cleaner until it comes up with no issues.
Right click on my computer again and choose properties again.
Go to the System Restore tab
Choose Turn off system restore on all drives.
Follow the prompts to turn it off.
Those steps should free up TONS of disk space and clean your registry. The system restore always gets fragmented as does the pagin file. By turning them off and dumping them, you can defrag the hard drive more effectively and gain a larger portion of contiguous disk space.
NOW, while still in safe mode,
Run auslogics disk defrag and choose the defrag AND optimize option.
Let it run.
When it finishes turn the paging file back on.
Right click on My computer, properties, advanced tab, performance, advanced, change virtual memory.
Choose CUSTOM SIZE and enter 1.5 X your actual memory. For example, if you have 2G of memory, enter 3000 in both the initial size and the mazimum size. This locks the paging file to one size that will not grow and won't get fragmented.
SET.
OK OK OK out of there and reboot to normal mode.
When it comes back you should turn on the system restore again.
Right click on my computer, properties, system restore tab and uncheck turn off system restore.
It should ask you how much disk space to devote to sytem restore. 12% is the default and is usually fine. If you have a large hard drive, knock it down to 5%. You won't need that much space.
That usually takes care of most performance issues in XP.
A couple notes.
If you have many user profiles on that machine, dump them before running the CCleaner and degragger.
You can get to them on the same Advanced tab as the performance settings.
CCleaner only works under the profile you are logged in with, so it won't clean up other peoples' messes.
Remeber, MS operating systems are 'brute force operating systems'. They are not elegant and they are not efficient. They don't put files back where they got them from and that's why they get fragmented to **** quickly. A good analogy is if you take your taxes out of your home file cabinet and spread out a few pages in each room of your house and then write down what pages you put in what rooms. Next year, you read that paper, go to each room of your house, assemble all of your tax papers, and work on your taxes. That's how windows keeps track of your files instead of putting them back where they got them from all together in one place. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Microsoft: First class marketing for a third world operating system.

Hmmmm ... I think you're borrowing trouble. IE8 should be fine on XP but, as stated above, it will not be fully functional online. You'd be better off using Firefox or something else ... in fact, you would ALWAYS be better off using Firefox :)

actyually te instal.. while lengthy.. went fine.

Unfortunately we are kinda tied to IE for school. the teachers have to log in and do thtier grades and update their web pages.. and IE is the 'supported' browser.

I did download chrome, it works fine too.. for general browsing.. but for the school software.. she has to log in with IE.. no biggie. i gto both working..

thanks for the advice guys.

just took lots of updating.. etc.. etc.

only weird thing I ran into was USB issues.

the pc has 6 ports.. a pair in front. and 2 pair in back.

thru expirementation.. i found i can only run ONE high current usb device.. and when it is running, you can't run any other high power usd devices in any of the other 2 pairs.

it's liek there are 3 pairs and only enough bus current for any ONE to be high power.

i fixed that with a cheap 20$ powered hub.. plugged that in, and now it will run a usb floppy, usb dvd, printer, wifi dongle and thumb drive all together not a single issue.

weird.. 6 usb ports and power to run one of them. :)

it still needs to be on the school network.. so I installed a usb wifi dongle on it.. did ALL the security updates. in fact.. that was why the IE 8 instal took all night. it updated the pc to xp SP3, did 255 security updates.. ran the malicous software tool..e tc. After that it got kaspersky

IE8 is fine.. grabbed chrome too. Need ie8 for school interface.. chrome otherwise works fine for generic browsing.

If you are using the old Dell in the classroom to just print documents, what is the primary reason you need IE 8 installed? If it still has IE 6, it probably does not have all the security patches from Microsoft on it anyway. If you really need an internet browser, as others have said, see if Chrome or Firefox will install for you. How much hard drive space is available and what other software packages are installed? Has it been checked and cleaned of any viruses since they are so old and "dumped" to the school from someone who wanted a tax writeoff?