Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter?

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I bent my hydraulic filter for the second time. Completely exposed on the "passenger" side of the tractor.

Anyone have any ideas how to protect it from being damaged?

I was thinking about welding a schedule 40 pipe so that the filter sits within the pipe but I could still get an oil filter socket on it.

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #3  
Hi tradosaurus,

It sounds like that might be a design issue, but now it your problem.

If you have room around the filter, you could weld a half coupler for either plumbing pipe (has tapered threads), or electrical pipe (has straight threads).

Then you could weld a piece of plate (end plate) to the pipe that you are going to screw onto the coupler.

Also you could weld on a good size hex nut to the center of the end plate that will help lock it on to the coupler using a wrench, and make it easy for removal.

If it were me, I would drill some holes into the pipe just incase the filter started to leak.

I hope this helps you,

KC

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #5  
I bent my hydraulic filter for the second time. Completely exposed on the "passenger" side of the tractor.

Anyone have any ideas how to protect it from being damaged?

I was thinking about welding a schedule 40 pipe so that the filter sits within the pipe but I could still get an oil filter socket on it.

I checked a couple of web pages on L3301 but saw no diagram of your predicament. A photo would help.

Completely encircling the filter with a pipe is a poor idea. Murphy is watching! Suppose the plastic or sheet metal "socket" doesn't grip the end of the filter; how would you get a strap wrench on the filter? You might be able to drive a big screwdriver, drift, or bar through the filter walls and turn the filter. Murphy is still watching! Suppose you loosen, tear, taco, or otherwise foul the gasket; you would then be working at the blind end of a pipe.

My suggestion would be a couple of well-braced stout stanchions or at most a half-section of pipe that would allow use of a strap wrench and access to the gasket seat. The protective cover could also be removable.

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #6  
I saw a set of pictures for a guard but the man was not interested in mass producing it. But it bolted into place so if you had problems with the filter you could still get to it. There was no mods to the tractor.

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter?
FEL_filter_lines_area_B.jpg

I'm ordering the FEL line and filter guard today. It's $279 but at the cost of the hydraulic filter and new fluid it well be worth it.

I just hope the guard holds up to the abuse.

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #8  
It's a tractor, not a bulldozer. :D :D I learn that when I bent a tie rod.

I built a step on the left side that just happens to provide a little protection for the oil filter. Would not be too hard to finish it off with a bolt on solid bottom. Instead of building that, I'm careful of what I'm driving over...

P1120035.JPG

P1120037.JPG

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #9  
My JD 2025R has a guard around most of it. Only the tip of it is exposed, enough to get a wrench onto to remove it. Actually, you need the wrench to get it tight enough not to leak, too.

Could you get a piece of PVC pipe and put a PVC cap on it and clamp it in place somehow (maybe even duct tape)?

Ralph

/ Ideas to protect the hydraulic filter? #10  
View attachment 634904

I'm ordering the FEL line and filter guard today. It's $279 but at the cost of the hydraulic filter and new fluid it well be worth it.

I just hope the guard holds up to the abuse.

Post pics when you get it. Take pics of the pieces you receive. Then take pics with it bolted in place. So someone else might be able to use your pics to build one.

I built a skid plate around mine that bolts to the tractor trans/rear axle housing. I'm curious how Kubota does it.