Ideal height for new work bench

/ Ideal height for new work bench #1  

TxMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
2020 Kubota MX5400 HST, ROPS, 2020 Kubota RTV 900, 2020 Kubota RTV 500(wifeç—´ ride),
I know it may depend on users height, but what is a generally accepted height for a work bench top?

Anyone have pics of their work benches?

/ Ideal height for new work bench #3  
Set the height so that most of the time your forearms are level when working.

Bruce

/ Ideal height for new work bench #4  
Personally it really depends on its intended usage.
For example, the table around my free standing table saw matches the table saw height, which is slightly short for my taste for projects such using it for a gluing work surface, but that is outweighed for the benefits of support for large pieces going on the saw.
For generalize work surface I like around the 38” level for my height, as it is for you, build it to what feels best to you.
As a side note most kitchen counter tops are around the 34” mark, unless customized for a tall person or for a short person.

/ Ideal height for new work bench #5  
As others said depends on use but I like pants pocket high.

/ Ideal height for new work bench #6  
I have 3 old heavy duty factory benches and they are at 34" and I have 6 wood benches and they are at 35". I think they work good for working on heavy stuff and having machinist tool boxes on and I'm at 5'10". If I was going to work on carburetors or small electrical stuff all day long, I would want a bench a bit taller, maybe around 40". I could always put wood risers under the feet or sit on a stool too.

/ Ideal height for new work bench #7  
I have 4, at different heights. I use the smallest one for most things, can pull up a chair to it, too. Tallest one, the most resent one, is great to put on the backpack spray - it's at the correct height for that!!!

/ Ideal height for new work bench #8  
All by benches are too cluttered for it to matter.

/ Ideal height for new work bench #9  
IMG_0794.JPG
Weld bench
IMG_0455.JPG
Plasma cutting bench. 10” adjustable feet allow matching other benches.
Like benches higher and have foam mats.

/ Ideal height for new work bench #10  
My benches vary in height, The shortest is 30" and the tallest is 36".

Kitchen cabinet boxes from the big box stores are 34.5" tall, but then need a counter top which is typically 1.5" tall for a total of 36" to top of counter. Bathroom vanities are typically much shorter.