IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #31  
The one I have was labelled as some kind of soap for settling coal dust. I flushed what was left a couple of times and got some suds, but not much. It's been filled and drained a couple of times now.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #32  
I got mine at a surplus yard for $25 each and they kept the tank when I told them I didn't need them. I've been using them for 4 years now with no problems. I do cover them in the late fall before the wet weather and snow starts. I put a piece of 15# felt paper on the top then cover and wrap the sides with an 8x10 HF tarp.

20150322_160601_resized.jpg

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #33  
I left the tank in. I cut a hole on opposing sides for stacking and retrieving wood. I know I don’t get as much in but my equipment can still lift it.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #34  
I was told when I fell off the turnip truck that the only thing stored in these totes was harmless vegetable oil. You mean I was lied to? :confused2: :confused2:

You make a very good point :thumbsup:
Lied to? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on what was really in them. And a label doesn't always tell everything if the totes had a history of a secondary use other than the original supplier.

I would say it all depends upon the source from which the used totes are acquired form.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #35  
I would say it all depends upon the source from which the used totes are acquired from.
I likely have the cleanest liner in this thread. I got it from a local craft-beer brewer. It had contained hops mash (thick pulp) and it was already immaculate with a very very faint beer scent. His supplier wanted just the cage back because they sent each shipment in new liners.

I had to buy that replacement liner because my original liner became brittle from the sun. That original tote had held liquid fertilizer, shipped to the farmer who gave me the tote, so it was harmless for watering new orchard trees.

I have another 650 gallon tank that I was going to set up at the back of the orchard for hose-watering a few new trees, before the year we planted 125 replacement trees and I built the tote trailer. The 650 gallon tank was $50 from a municipal water treatment plant and had held the chlorine (bleach) that is added to tapwater. They explained that bleach is so reactive that any residue would have become neutralized in the year since they retired and cleaned that tank. I rinsed it on lawn by the barn without harming the lawn, so what I was told seems accurate.

But the first tank I used to water new trees smelled nasty even though it looked clean when I got it. I rinsed that one many times before watering with it.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #36  
I rinsed that one many times before watering with it.
What did you do with the rinse water? I've got a similar situation and haven't figured out what to do with the rinse water so right now, it's just sitting there unused.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #37  
What did you do with the rinse water? I've got a similar situation and haven't figured out what to do with the rinse water
Anything doubtful I pour on the grass strip down the middle of my driveway. So far I haven't hurt the grass, but damage there would be less of a problem than anywhere else.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #38  
I purchased one of these and made a man-cage from it. Before I removed the plastic container, I accidently let some of the liquid that had originally been in it drip on my concrete floor in my shop. It started to eat the concrete! Flushed with water to de-activate the liquid before it ate a sizeable spot in the floor. The labels had all been painted over with heavy black paint so could not determine what was originally in it. Paid $50.00 bucks for it and was glad to get it. They make great man cages, all galvanized. Just cut a piece of plywood to fit the floor so as to have a flat floor to stand on. Bob

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #39  
Wish I had access to free ones! A scan of Craigslist in CT shows them for $125, $150 and $180.

A few years ago, a fellow TBN member and neighbor pick up some at Toce tires in Torrington for $25 each. They came with the bladders with the residual remains of two-part tire sealer. So that had to be dealt with. He said to go when they are not busy.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #40  
Wintertime hint. I put mine up on 6X6s to prevent them from freezing to the ground. Only use the steel bottoms, no plastic.