IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #21  
There is an industrial plant near me that will give you all the IBC Tote tanks that you want for free.

And yet the one I have had a sticker on it with an 800 to call for pickup. Never called it, so I don't know if there is any charge to have them picked up.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #22  
Found 7 on CL priced at $40 each without the tank. I don't need the tank. Does that sound like a decent price?

My FEL will lift 1500 or so lbs. Will it handle a tote full of wood?
I've got two areas I split my time in - near Tupelo, MS and Washington, DC.
In Tupelo I find the totes and cages for $30 and up routinely (look on facebook, under totes).
In DC they are often $100 and up.
I've never looked for the cages alone.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #23  
<snip>
Heating with firewood is very inefficient from a handling view point. You cut the tree down, cut the wood into rounds, split them, stack them, move the wood into the house etc. You touch it way too many times. The cages let me move them from the sunny location on the south side of the barn to the winter storage spot next to the garage quickly and easily. I can move the entire winter's supply in an hour. It used to take a day or more using a wheel barrow!

I disagree - If heating is to keep the body warm think of it this way - You go out and work your butt off getting, moving, stacking, splitting, stacking, moving the wood. By then you have spent many hours not sitting inside needing heat!

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #24  
Typical Northern California prices, copied from a CL ad, other vendors near identical:

275 Gallon dirty non-food grade-$50
275 Gallon dirty Food Grade-$100
275 Gallon CLEAN Food Grade-$150

Off-topic - I recently got a clean replacement liner for my watering trailer, $25. That was from a beer brewery where he had to return the bare cages to his mash supplier. He had a large number of naked liners for sale.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #25  
I am fortunate, I have a friend who works someplace where they get rid of them frequently. They contain organic fertilizer, but since I am not using the liner, I don't really care. I cut them right at the top and bottom of the liner where the curve from the wall to the top or bottom begins. I cut around three sides and then I can fold the center section onto itself and the whole thing ends up being about the size of the top and 8 in tall. It fits nicely in a dumpster that way as I don't have any other use for them.

Aaron Z

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #26  
Wish I had access to free ones! A scan of Craigslist in CT shows them for $125, $150 and $180.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #27  
^^^ Yep, me too as they are what California posted around here...

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #28  
I use mine for a water tank for a bunch of fruit trees in the lower part of my property. Found out it won't self support when full of water though, so I had to improvise with some 1/2 conduit.

Be careful - before you buy the totes with the liners make sure you know what was in them before use. Read the MSDS sheets. Some very nasty chemicals get stored in totes and the last thing you want is some known carcinogen in your water barrel or ending up in your well water.

Dont believe anything the seller says, read the label yourself.

FYI companies using these totes have to pay to disposed of the used tote. Hazardous materials are expensive to get rid of. Lots of unscrupulous sellers out there.

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #29  
When I stack my wood in my baskets , I try to keep the wood tilted on a slight angle away from the center of the basket.
My hope is that any rain water that drips on the wood would just drip off towards the outside

20190103_112124.jpg

20190103_112301.jpg

20190103_130304.jpg

/ IBC metal totes for storing/transporting firewood #30  
Be careful - before you buy the totes with the liners make sure you know what was in them before use. Read the MSDS sheets. Some very nasty chemicals get stored in totes and the last thing you want is some known carcinogen in your water barrel or ending up in your well water.

Dont believe anything the seller says, read the label yourself.

FYI companies using these totes have to pay to disposed of the used tote. Hazardous materials are expensive to get rid of. Lots of unscrupulous sellers out there.

I was told when I fell off the turnip truck that the only thing stored in these totes was harmless vegetable oil. You mean I was lied to? :confused2: :confused2:

You make a very good point :thumbsup: