I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #1  

blacktruck

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub cadet 2450, JD 420, Ford LGT18H
I've been in the market for a new tractor for almost two years. I was ready to pull the trigger on a purchase in Feb 2020 and then all of this craziness happened. You can make your own decisions about the cause and results of that but that is for another place. I had talked with a guy from the RK store and was ready to order one. Early this year, I started to do more research and get a new one this year. I went to the RK website and checked the features offered. I was ready to order until I called the local store. My impression of the calls I made there were not good. I did not get the impression they really wanted to sell tractors. I played a little phone tag to try to make contact. Crazy thing is that I still really like the size and options they have for the 24. I do not intend to buy another new tractor so this one should have everything I want. Reading here and some other forums, it does give the impression that any service or warranty work is about out of the question. Anybody have other thoughts on this? I will get a new red tractor but time will tell if it is an RK. Help me out here folks. Is it a good buy or not?

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #2  
Just my opinion but very few tractor dealers will make deals over the phone unless you already have a relationship. This might be even more true now with inventory levels so low a phone call isn't a high chance of success anyway. Go in and talk face to face and see what it's like.

I'm not going to say every person that buys a <25 HP SCUT gets will trade it in for a larger unit but many will. Do you just like the 24 or have you actually looked at all the tasks you want to do, time you have to do it, and terrain you'll operate on? Group here is pretty good about recommendations or identifying pitfalls.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please.
Just my opinion but very few tractor dealers will make deals over the phone unless you already have a relationship. This might be even more true now with inventory levels so low a phone call isn't a high chance of success anyway. Go in and talk face to face and see what it's like.

I'm not going to say every person that buys a <25 HP SCUT gets will trade it in for a larger unit but many will. Do you just like the 24 or have you actually looked at all the tasks you want to do, time you have to do it, and terrain you'll operate on? Group here is pretty good about recommendations or identifying pitfalls.
Thanks sir for the reply.
Yes, I have owned a subcompact tractor for over ten years. I am at a point in my life that if I need a larger tractor or piece of equipment for a specific task outside the capabilities of the subcompact, I will rent whatever I need. The subcompact fits the need for a tractor that would be used very often around one of my properties. Everything from mowing to moving snow and light excavation work.
I agree with what you are saying about a phone call in making a big purchase. That said those who sell with the help of the internet and the proliferation of cell phones means there will be calls regarding a purchase of this magnitude. I did not mention making a deal over the phone. I was inquiring about options and availability. Both fair and expected topics if you ask me. If I feel they know anything, I will make an in person visit. The closest store is about two hours away. I do get what you are saying but a little feigned interest in my call would have made a lot of difference. I called the store I would most probably have used trying to get more info. I still like the tractor but unsure of the rest of the deal.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #4  
I suggest since the RK are made by TYM, check out a TYM dealer in your area and see if you like the T254, or even slightly bigger T264 or the brand new T25? It will have a better network and parts backing, although this Covid BS has sent every manufacturer for a runaround for parts availability it seems? There seems to be a dealer in Magnolia, AR?

Last edited:
   / I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please.
The Texarkana thing is just a ruse. I am here on a work assignment but going home to land of imprisoned governors when this task is over. Surprisingly there were fewer TYM dealers there than RK dealers when last I checked. None in my area that I recall. I've thought about a different size but with my past uses of my current subcompact tractor, I don't really want a bigger tractor. Almost makes me unAmerican but I really just don't want a bigger tractor. I am planning for the tractor I buy to be my retirement present to me. Something to keep me occupied when my office days are done.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #6  
The Texarkana thing is just a ruse. I am here on a work assignment but going home to land of imprisoned governors when this task is over. Surprisingly there were fewer TYM dealers there than RK dealers when last I checked. None in my area that I recall. I've thought about a different size but with my past uses of my current subcompact tractor, I don't really want a bigger tractor. Almost makes me unAmerican but I really just don't want a bigger tractor. I am planning for the tractor I buy to be my retirement present to me. Something to keep me occupied when my office days are done.
10 years of experience in your actual conditions beat any opinions you get here. Hope you find what you're looking for at the right price.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #7  
I've been in the market for a new tractor for almost two years. I was ready to pull the trigger on a purchase in Feb 2020 and then all of this craziness happened. You can make your own decisions about the cause and results of that but that is for another place. I had talked with a guy from the RK store and was ready to order one. Early this year, I started to do more research and get a new one this year. I went to the RK website and checked the features offered. I was ready to order until I called the local store. My impression of the calls I made there were not good. I did not get the impression they really wanted to sell tractors. I played a little phone tag to try to make contact. Crazy thing is that I still really like the size and options they have for the 24. I do not intend to buy another new tractor so this one should have everything I want. Reading here and some other forums, it does give the impression that any service or warranty work is about out of the question. Anybody have other thoughts on this? I will get a new red tractor but time will tell if it is an RK. Help me out here folks. Is it a good buy or not?
If it was me... no way. If and when you do need a dealer, RK isn't it. Look at New Holland, Massey, Kioti, and the big K, Kubota; but definitely buy from a dealer.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #8  
If you have a TYM dealer nearby that looks to be a legitimate tractor dealer maybe. Buying a rebranded tractor is something I won't do.

I considered a TYM cab tractor a couple years back but the nearest dealer is 150 miles away and is a lawn and garden center.

I say suck it up and stick with a JD or Kubota.

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #9  
"I will get a new red tractor"
If it must be red, go to Massey Ferguson, or Branson.
You will likely find solid dealer support and resale at either, 365 a year!

/ I really want an RK 24, talk me out of it. Please. #10  
Blacktruck, I too looked for about a year and the rk24, gc1725mb, and ls mt125 were my finalists and I just ordered the massey gc1725mb last week. For me it came down to quality and ease of use meaning how easily is it to swap out backhoe and attachments. I did not want to be taking the 3 point off and on when installing the backhoe. Also massey has a great history of being a proven solid machine with the gc series. Best of luck, it's a tough decision for sure.