I need a PowerKing guru

/ I need a PowerKing guru #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
I have this mid 70's 2414 PowerKing tractor that seems to be losing tranny oil and at the same time it seems to be making gear oil in rear differential. Last summer I replaced all the fluids on this tractor and at that time everything looked ok other just being dirty.

Now fast forward about 15 months. It sat for several months because it had a flat front tire and I finally decided to put new ones on it. While I was working on it I decided to check the fluid levels and do a few other things I had been putting off. When I did the transmission was almost empty and the rear differential was about a pint over filled. My first thought was that a seal in the transmission went bad and the oil somehow ended up in the differential if that is even possible. I have the owners manual but that don't tell me much so I'm in search of some kind of repair manual so I can see what's going on.

The thing is the last time I used it there were no strange noises and the tranny shifted like it should. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything. I know sometimes machines will have what I call a cold leak meaning it doesn't leak when the fluid is warm or hot but will leak a little when the machine sits for awhile. Hopefully that is what's going on but I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out how the tranny oil was really low and the rear was way overfull. Is it even possible for this to happen?

/ I need a PowerKing guru #2  
I don't know if you are a fan of Facebook, but might be an idea to join. There are a couple good PK FB pages with lots of members willing to share info. I'm not a PK owner myself but looking into it. I do however own several other brand tractors both GT size, and farm size and belong to a couple of the larger groups of each. Some even have libraries of manuals you can look through.

/ I need a PowerKing guru #3  
My Father's Economy tractor (72ish) did the same thing since new. I vaguely recall him mentioning that it was normal for oil to migrate from the transmission to the rear axle case, and was mentioned in the owners manual.
I could be remembering wrong, or my father could also have been mistaken also.
Upon his passing 3 years ago he specifically wanted me to have his tractor. I regret not saving it, but I didn't have a place to store the machine. I spent many hours on that tractor mowing, plowing, discing, and planting.
Good luck with your tractor.

/ I need a PowerKing guru
My Father's Economy tractor (72ish) did the same thing since new. I vaguely recall him mentioning that it was normal for oil to migrate from the transmission to the rear axle case, and was mentioned in the owners manual.
I could be remembering wrong, or my father could also have been mistaken also.
Upon his passing 3 years ago he specifically wanted me to have his tractor. I regret not saving it, but I didn't have a place to store the machine. I spent many hours on that tractor mowing, plowing, discing, and planting.
Good luck with your tractor.
I done some research and found that the owners manual was printed wrong for the 4 speed transmissions. If you have a 3 speed then please disregard. It states to fill the transmission to within 1 inch from the fill opening 1 to 1/2 pints of gear lube, (Thats for 3 speed trannys only).
For the 4 speed transmission that came out in the early to mid 70's, it should state to within 33/8" from the top of the fill/check plug opening. This will be somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 pints of gear lube. They came out with a supplement for the 4 speed trannys later in the 70's that corrected the error.

/ I need a PowerKing guru
I don't know if you are a fan of Facebook, but might be an idea to join. There are a couple good PK FB pages with lots of members willing to share info. I'm not a PK owner myself but looking into it. I do however own several other brand tractors both GT size, and farm size and belong to a couple of the larger groups of each. Some even have libraries of manuals you can look through.
Yes I have found several PK FB pages but from what I have seen they are mainly for selling parts or parts tractors. I'm going to keep looking though. Thanks