I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #101  
Had several Honda cars all Good but the worst rider ever for me was the Honda 4518, it was terrible.
Some Honda riders in the 80s seemed temperamental, finicky and over complicated to me anyway but who else sold a horizontal shaft liquid cooled twin with a rubber coupled drive shaft ie no belts to the transmission? I don't use my 3813 for mowing anymore after the PTO clutch burnt out on top of it having a thin cheap stamped deck. However It has been pretty rock solid and reliable for everything else after my stepson and I put a new timing belt on it, like pulling trailers, sprayer, fertilizer spreaders, aerator, lawn rollers, etc and I initially bought it for my young stepson at the time to learn on, however he has moved onto other things now so i still use it frequently.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #102  
I am a big and tall shopper as well. I mowed for years with a Bad Boy zt elite with a kawasaki engine. Last year I bought a new Maverick HD. This new Maverick HD has a big block commercial Kawasaki and 4 wheel "suspension ". It is an awesome machine. The biggest difference is the new mower is 54" and the Elite was a 60....but the new one is faster so.....about the same seat time.The Maverick handles the rougher parts of our lawn pretty well.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #103  
Some Honda riders in the 80s seemed temperamental, finicky and over complicated to me anyway but who else sold a horizontal shaft liquid cooled twin with a rubber coupled drive shaft ie no belts to the transmission? I don't use my 3813 for mowing anymore after the PTO clutch burnt out on top of it having a thin cheap stamped deck. However It has been pretty rock solid and reliable for everything else after my stepson and I put a new timing belt on it, like pulling trailers, sprayer, fertilizer spreaders, aerator, lawn rollers, etc and I initially bought it for my young stepson at the time to learn on, however he has moved onto other things now so i still use it frequently.

I have posted the story with that mower in other threads, but agree on the 2 cylinder inline liquid cooled engine itself was Good and a smooth runner while being fuel efficient. A short list of the problems PTO clutch would brake while trying to engage the deck and could not be adjusted for clearance. the Ignition died multiple times the igniter failed as did both coils , the stator failed so no charging system and the hydrostat jerked constantly while set to a steady speed. The MTD Hydro and the Deere X500 have both been much, Much better mowers for me. I would even take the non Hydro 1976 Gilson over that Honda except for the steering system Honda did well on that.

/ I need a new lawn mower!
Well, got approved for $7500, and I've worked to narrow the options down, but this is a tough choice. It was easier before the financing was approved because it felt no different than window shopping, but now I have to make a choice. Obviously the choice is mine to make, but I value the input of others.

I crossed the Cub Cadet ZTSX off the list due to price; the Kawasaki engine puts the price well out of range. I also have removed the Bad Boy Maverick HD. It seems to be a great machine, but the only local dealer is new. Like, so new his showroom isn't finished, so new his machines are being assembled and parked at his other business. I think he will do well, and I wish him well, but I am spending too much to be comfortable taking a chance on him.

This brings me to my narrowed field...

The Exmark Radius E, with a 48" deck, and the addition of a suspension seat. The engine is labeled Exmark.

The Kubota T2290KW-48, with a 48 inch deck and Kawasaki engine. I really like the seating position on it, and it's got a good transaxle, but I feel the tires may be a little small?

John Deere X390. The X390 has an adjustable steering wheel, making it the most comfortable of the X3xx machines. I'd of course get it with a 48" deck.

Lastly, there are two local used machines that I am rather interested in. Both are at United Ag & Turff, though different locations. One is a Deere X394 and the other an X580.

Obviously the X580 is a tank, and with only 20 hours on it, it seems like new. The only concern here is I'll need to drop a few pounds, my stomach is getting a little close to the steering wheel for my liking.

The X394 is awesome, but I worry about the longevity of the 4WS on my rather unmaintained and abhorrent lawn.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #105  
I don't know anything about any of the models that you listed, but will comment on the Exmark being a very common machine used by a lot of lawn mowing crews in my area. When I was buying, they where on my top five list, but I wasn't real happy with the dealer. He was disorganized and the place looked like a junk yard. Funny thing, he's still in business and the Skag dealer that I bought from is out of business.

I have a zero turn and a riding mower. The riding mower is a Deere. It's no better or worse then any other riding mower, but the thing that I do like about it is how easy it is to get parts for it. I can go on Amazon and order just about anything for it, and have it here in a day or two.

I've never bought anything Kubota, but always thought of them as a top of the line brand. When I was looking at their zero turns, I read that they where having issues with their hydraulic pumps. I spoke to the mechanic at the dealership and saw at least three of them in their shop being worked on. He said that in every case, they owners worked their mowers too hard and it wasn't Kubota's fault. I didn't like that answer, so I didn't look at Kubota any longer.

If I was buying today, and I had your list, it would probably be on which dealer I liked better.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #106  

/ I need a new lawn mower! #108  
Snow drift but I think the air cooled 80s and 90s rt, and single h series Honda gear drive garden tractors had double axle steering, factory three point, rear pto, and a mower deck.

/ I need a new lawn mower!
Well, just had a rug pulled out from under me that has me pretty pissed; I now have no place under cover to store the mower. So, I'm not buying a $6k or more machine to let it go to pot sitting outdoors. Now I'm thinking of putting something on the Home Depot card and paying it off at 0% before the year is out; unfortunately Home Depot doesn't seem to have the S170, for some reason I'd have to buy that from Lowes. On the other hand, theoretically, I could get a 42" S240 for a couple hundred more. The missus doesn't trust getting a used machine, but I'm still watching CL; it might be easier if I had Facebook, but nah.

So, that's the current update.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #110  
Well, just had a rug pulled out from under me that has me pretty pissed; I now have no place under cover to store the mower. So, I'm not buying a $6k or more machine to let it go to pot sitting outdoors. Now I'm thinking of putting something on the Home Depot card and paying it off at 0% before the year is out; unfortunately Home Depot doesn't seem to have the S170, for some reason I'd have to buy that from Lowes. On the other hand, theoretically, I could get a 42" S240 for a couple hundred more. The missus doesn't trust getting a used machine, but I'm still watching CL; it might be easier if I had Facebook, but nah.

So, that's the current update.
I'm sure your aware but hd and Lowes offers 10% off most stuff, bring in a dd214 tsc offered 15% on memorial and vets day got a brand new Hobart lx 235 stick welder on clearance plus 15% off that. You served honorably, take advantage of it imo. Btw I'm a sucker for deals lol.

Attachments

• KIMG2532.JPG
    KIMG2532.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited: