I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #81  
Seems like Briggs is on the way out, Honda is not really in the game so all your left with is Kohler or Kawasaki for engine power on popular riders and zero turns? All power equipment manufacturers have different levels of engine quality depending on model and are priced accordingly. Seems all manufacturers of smaller air cooled 4 strokes have strong and weak points. As previously mentioned by others some maintenance at least seasonally is important. (Oil air filter etc). On new break in periods weather called for or not I've always added a very minimal amount of two stroke oil to first tank of gas (I use synthetic blend or full, definitely don't want to run to rich subsequently scoring cylinders walls due to excessive carbon) so take my non professional keyboard commando opinion accordingly on top of using seafoam (only snake oil fuel additive ive seen notable results with) all the time, and initially change oil and filter after a few hrs of use. Still waiting on first catastrophic failure on smaller air
cooled 4 strokes with something I own on all levels of initial engine quality by a few notable manufacturers. Knocking on wood lol
Why do you say Briggs is on its way out? The company information doesn’t sound like they are failing.

“About Briggs & Stratton

Briggs & Stratton, headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, provides innovative products and diverse power solutions to help people get work done. Briggs & Stratton is the world’s largest producer of engines for outdoor power equipment, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of lithium-ion battery, standby generator, energy storage system, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products through its Briggs & Stratton®, Vanguard®, Ferris®, Simplicity®, Snapper®, Billy Goat®, Allmand®, SimpliPhi®, Branco® and Victa® brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in more than 100 countries on six continents.”

/ I need a new lawn mower! #82  
Filed for ch. 11 a few years back bought by a equity firm. imho quality of there products will suffer cuz of nickel and diming bean counters. Definitely hoping they pull out of it but reading and hearing of similar stories makes me a pessimist. I'll post a few links but trying to avoid a snowdrift effect.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #83  
Filed for ch. 11 a few years back bought by an equity firm. imho quality of there products will suffer cuz of nickel and diming bean counters. Definitely hoping they pull out of it but reading and hearing of similar stories makes me a pessimist. I'll post a few links but trying to avoid a snowdrift effect.
I have a neighbor who owns a small engine/Stihl dealership, but services all brands. He told me that Briggs is extremely easy to get parts for and their supply chain is amazing. He said that Kawasaki is a good engine, but it often takes him a long time to get parts and customers aren’t happy.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #84  
I just recently bought my first zero turn lawn mower. I had a Husqvarna 22 hp lawn tractor for years, and it mowed very well. Comfortable, and reliable. My next door neighbor (when we were in the neighborhood before moving onto our new land) had an Ariens Ikon 52" zero turn. I used to borrow it, and fell in love with the speed, and ease of use. However, that Ikon would not stay sync'd and I was constantly adjusting the control sticks, so they would track together when pushed fully forward. His had the 22hp Kawi and other than the sync'ing issue, I thought it was a great mower. I went to purchase one, but found a super deal on a 2023 Gravely ZTHD 52". I actually got it for less money than I would have gotten the Ikon 52"... so I bought the Gravely.

I really, REALLY like the Gravely. The way they do their belts and how easy they are to replace, as opposed to the Ikon, is another selling feature. Mine has the 22 hp Kawi engine as well. The only thing that I find strange is the offset front wheels. No clue why Gravely does that on this model, but it works. I also like how you can set the deck height with the pin, and just mash a pedal and the deck locks up at full height. I really like this mower.

I have about 3 acres of lawn to mow (I have 36 acres total, but only 3 are groomed and have new sod on the lawn. This mower is brand new, and has not cut yet. It will get a huge work out this summer!

I believe Ariens and Gravely are owned by the same company, correct?

/ I need a new lawn mower!
@Darth_DMack I'm under the impression that Ariens owns Gravely, but I'm no expert here. Thank you for posting your experiences; I like the Gravely I looked at, but I've heard a few folks mention they're under the impression the quality has gone downhill. Of course, that seems a common theme in this world, lol.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #86  
@Darth_DMack I'm under the impression that Ariens owns Gravely, but I'm no expert here. Thank you for posting your experiences; I like the Gravely I looked at, but I've heard a few folks mention they're under the impression the quality has gone downhill. Of course, that seems a common theme in this world, lol.

Yes Sir, I believe you are correct. When I was shopping for a Zero Turn mower, I looked at them all. The one thing that sold me on Gravely, was the deal I got. Of course, I bought a tractor (Mahindra 5155) a Side by Side UTV (Yamaha RMax2 LE 1000 two seater) and the mower (Gravely ZTHD 52") all at the same time. I really like how beefy the deck is on the Gravely. I love the way you can lift up the panel where you sit, and the belts / pulleys are right there. The 22 hp Kawi starts right up, and seems to do well on this mower. The transmission (lack of what to call it) that drives the rear wheels seems tighter and tracks very well. The steering arms (again, lack of vocabulary here) are seemingly more precise and I love love love the way you set the deck height on the Gravely. It is a pin, or dowel rod that you insert into pin holes to set the deck height. The Ariens Ikon had a rotary dial that set the deck height. With my Gravely, I leave the pin in place, and when I want to raise the deck, for storage, or moving it around... I just push the right foot pedal, and the deck locks in the fully upright position. All of my observations are strictly from using the Ariens Ikon 52" over a full summer, and now owning the Gravely. I would definitely choose the Gravely ZTHD 52" over the Ariens Ikon 52" if I had to do it again.

There are other more commercial mowers out there, that I didn't even look at due to the price point.

It's definitely a Consumer's market out there. Best of luck with your choice!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #87  
Strong and durable, a foot pedal deck lift on my zt with locking pin works exactly as it should all the time every time in my experience with it.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #88  
Strong and durable, a foot pedal deck lift on my zt with locking pin works exactly as it should all the time every time in my experience with it.
Those seem to be fairly standard now. Every ZT I looked at last year when I was shopping was set up like that.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #89  
Honda is not really in the game
Why is Honda not in the game? I see their engines on a lot of powerwashers, generators, etc. Maybe not on lawn mowers and tractors yet but do you have indications they will not step up at some point?

Do you know if Airens is still made in the USA?

Last edited:
   / I need a new lawn mower! #90  
I have a Cub Cadet XT2 42 with the twin, "cadet engine" brought new in 2020 and I am astounded at how bad the gas efficiency is. Its the first new riding mower I ever bought. Maybe this is a learning curve for me. But, "oh my" this thing uses a lot of gas at the recommended RPM.