I need a new lawn mower!

/ I need a new lawn mower! #11  
I would add Kubota to your list to look at. They have plenty of residential options. Regardless of brand, I would recommend a Kawasaki engine and a comfortable seat.
I run 2 diesel zero turns and they just can't be beat for mowing speed.
They do not do well in mud or saturated grass, but regular mowers don't either.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #12  
I've used a variety of lawn mowers and small tractors to mow the area around the house. When the last one died, I began using my 3pt finish mower behind my CUT, that I use for mowing my other acreage. Yes, it's a bit more difficult to maneuver around obstacles but the HST transmission really helps.

I've been mowing around the house with it for 10 years now, and it really doesn't take much more time than doing it with a smaller machine. The cut quality isn't quite as good but the advantage of not having to maintain another tractor, especially a gas model, more than makes up for it.

As @dj1701 suggests, why not try a 3pt finish mower behind your Kioti?

/ I need a new lawn mower! #13  
For an acre a zero turn would be nice but we’re not talking a big yard. I wouldn’t feel the need for a high end mower but if you have the money it would be a long term investment.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #14  
Bite the bullet now and smooth out your lawn. That will make mowing faster and more pleasant for years to come.

The salesman said a ZTR would cut my mowing time in half. It did.

You can put bar tread tires on the ZTR drive wheels for increased traction if really needed.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #15  
Ya'all missed the value king light duty garden tractor.

$4600 for a Kawasaki V-Twin, Tuff Torque K-66 with locking diff, fabricated deck that cuts amazingly well, high back seat and is priced far lower than anything else that can match the quality of parts. The downside is that the frame will not tolerate dragging any actual ground engaging items. It will pull your 40 gallon sprayer and 180 lb seed spreader with no issues, but nothing that tries to actually tear or disturb the earth.

The tractor is the near infamous Husqvarna TS354XD.

I have had mine since 2018 and have 200 hours on it now with chains and wheel weights. She's still a beast. Climb anything but a wall, and mow anything but a tree.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #16  
Own both lawn tractors and a zero turn wife uses 0-turn for about 5 acres I use old gear drive JD 200 series for everything else. Z-turn although much more maneuverable and quicker beats me to oblivion I preemptively medicate with multiple lidocaine patches when I occasionally use it if I used it more id have already upgraded the seat, you also always need to use both hands on the controls when moving, I maintain that thing and dislike it, has serviceable commercial grade drives and grease fittings for the components on deck, both tires have power on a zero turn without a locker so getting stuck is less of a problem unless your royally hung up on something. I made a rear bolt on hitch for it so it can do a little more than just mow still doesn't justify price imo. Been told by multiple folks countless times heat kills hydrostatic drives. My Zero turn has cooling fans for hydros, and I run synthetic drive oil in the drives vs 20w 50 conventional Bought this z-turn in 2018 now has around 500 hrs on it I believe mostly trouble free. Being the minority Id take a gear drive older garden tractor any day over a z-turn. All mowers I own are nothing your interested in anyway.

Attachments

• KIMG2441.JPG
    KIMG2441.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • KIMG2440.JPG
    KIMG2440.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • KIMG2438.JPG
    KIMG2438.JPG
    910.9 KB · Views: 58
   / I need a new lawn mower! #17  
Own both lawn tractors and a zero turn wife uses 0-turn for about 5 acres I use old gear drive JD 200 series for everything else. Z-turn although much more maneuverable and quicker beats me to oblivion I preemptively medicate with multiple lidocaine patches when I occasionally use it if I used it more id have already upgraded the seat, you also always need to use both hands on the controls when moving, I maintain that thing and dislike it, has serviceable commercial grade drives and grease fittings for the components on deck, both tires have power on a zero turn without a locker so getting stuck is less of a problem unless your royally hung up on something. I made a rear bolt on hitch for it so it can do a little more than just mow still doesn't justify price imo. Been told by multiple folks countless times heat kills hydrostatic drives. My Zero turn has cooling fans for hydros, and I run synthetic drive oil in the drives vs 20w 50 conventional Bought this z-turn in 2018 now has around 500 hrs on it I believe mostly trouble free. Being the minority Id take a gear drive older garden tractor any day over a z-turn. All mowers I own are nothing your interested in anyway.
I also have a Exmark Laser HD commercial zero turn, it is useless on my slopes compared to the Husqvarna. If I had more flat property, the ZT would be the hot ticket, but where I am in south western PA, the ZT is not overly useful. My son has a small lawn service, so he has a few properties that he can use the ZT on, but many more that he has to use a Husqvarna garden tractor on. A lot of it depends on your are and your property, but for my the dream of a ZT is nothing but a dream.

I don't know, maybe one of those Cub Cadet ones with a steering wheel and hydraulically steered front casters would be better, I still think I would have the down hill runaway issue where the rear wheels let go and you go dashing for the lower tree line totally out of control. With my garden tractor and weights and chains, there is no drama. It is safe and effective.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #18  
I also have a Exmark Laser HD commercial zero turn, it is useless on my slopes compared to the Husqvarna. If I had more flat property, the ZT would be the hot ticket, but where I am in south western PA, the ZT is not overly useful. My son has a small lawn service, so he has a few properties that he can use the ZT on, but many more that he has to use a Husqvarna garden tractor on. A lot of it depends on your are and your property, but for my the dream of a ZT is nothing but a dream.

I don't know, maybe one of those Cub Cadet ones with a steering wheel and hydraulically steered front casters would be better, I still think I would have the down hill runaway issue where the rear wheels let go and you go dashing for the lower tree line totally out of control. With my garden tractor and weights and chains, there is no drama. It is safe and effective.
I had the same issues with my zero turns on hills with the stock turf tires
I put Carlisle AT 101 bar tires on my zero turns and those issues went away

Attachments

• HPIM1660.JPG
    HPIM1660.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 114

/ I need a new lawn mower! #19  
Look also at the Ferris 2000 or Simplicity Cobalt - series with a suspension but I think the smallest deck is 52" also you can get a suspension seat makes it ride even better.

Or if you want a tractor I agree with Rockcrawler the Husky with Kawasaki and fab deck is a good alternative.

/ I need a new lawn mower! #20  
This setup works pretty good up north considering this old 212 is well over 40 yrs old as long as it's somewhat dry out, where I mow a hill on top of a hill. Homemade bolt on weight box also doubles as wheelie bar when going up the hills lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307-110935.png
    Screenshot_20240307-110935.png
    1 MB · Views: 53