I love watching stuff like this on youtube

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #11  
I was hoping to learn that a heavy coat of rust on a single strand served as a poor man's flux coat.

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube
I don't hate it when I see crappy work. It just makes me wonder why they choose to do it that way. As long as people have been doing work you can see examples where some do it neatly and some not. It goes back to arrowheads and cave paintings.... and probably even before.
I always wonder if it is in how they learned or something innate in the person.
Well, as a self-taught *grinder*, I could attest that welding ugly is definitely a learned trait. :ROFLMAO:

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #13  
Would that technipque qualify to be called Texas Tig?

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #15  
YouTube, is about all I watch. I love it. I have welded with a stick rod for 50 plus years and use a filler sometimes, but not exactly like that. I will try that.

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #16  
I'm with the torch and coat hanger gang. I mean, it's neat I guess, but it's basically just using the wire as a backer to pull some heat away and stop the weld from dropping through the thin metal. :drifts off remembering the old brass coat hangers worked better than the new ones:

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #17  
I'm with the torch and coat hanger gang. I mean, it's neat I guess, but it's basically just using the wire as a backer to pull some heat away and stop the weld from dropping through the thin metal. :drifts off remembering the old brass coat hangers worked better than the new ones:
I've never had much luck with the coat hangers.... the plastic keeps melting. 🙃

But seriously, when I find the thicker metal coat hangers at our house, it reminds me of days gone by. I've always kept a tube of "real" rods in the garage near the torches since I could afford them, but the coat hangars bring back that memory of making do with what we had at the time. (y)

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube
Would that technipque qualify to be called Texas Tig?
I mean, kinda? In murka, tx tig usually means pounding the flux off a second rod to use as a filler. Or, use a nail or something.

Here's another dude I watch, I think he's Egyptian. I thought this was really smart:

/ I love watching stuff like this on youtube #19  
When I needed a flush surface, that is the method I preferred.