I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #151  
I agree with Jeff9366.
I think that the EV is all political hype, and not very practical, nor is the expected environmental savings anything near what is promoted.
The biggest problem that I see is that the EVs are great for general commuting, but not great for road trips. (read PITA, for all of the extra stops that are required). This smells of the 15 Minute City stuff (and that is downright scary)
Like with everything that is promoted as good for us, FOLLOW THE MONEY !!! I'm going to avoid the EVs. No Thanks.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #152  
Rumor was Kia and Hyundai cheeped out on their early US imports and used just cast iron compression rings, unlike other corps engines that used chrome or chrome rail- moly filled compression rings. generally by 80k miles cast iron rings have worn to the point that an engine will fail a leak down test and become oil burners

If Stanley Meyer was successful with his electrolyzer car we could all be driving water cars. Either way he died unexpectedly after eating at a restaurant, and declaring he had been poisoned before collapsing.
Gas DI engines in general can have some other issues...... oil dilution (by fuel), cylinder head coking, and I recently learned about the LSPI spec for oil.

"Gee, that sounds like a lot of hassle..... guess I'll just have to Go Electric"....... :cool:

Stanley..... well, if the JFK announcement just has people scrolling to the Next Thing in Their Feed.......

Not many of us (society) pay attention.....

Rgds, D.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #153  
I agree with Jeff9366.
I think that the EV is all political hype, and not very practical, nor is the expected environmental savings anything near what is promoted.
The biggest problem that I see is that the EVs are great for general commuting, but not great for road trips. (read PITA, for all of the extra stops that are required). This smells of the 15 Minute City stuff (and that is downright scary)
Like with everything that is promoted as good for us, FOLLOW THE MONEY !!! I'm going to avoid the EVs. No Thanks.
My thoughts exactly. No EV's in my future.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #154  
Well just like there are wrecking yards for ICE there will be for electric vehicles. In 2023 Tesla will likely build over a million model Ys alone.

There will be Plenty of used spare parts at the auto dismantlers.
I can't tell the difference between various tesla models, but for a car that supposedly sells a million + a year, I don't see very many on the roads.
Back then all sorts of usable parts and lots of people worked on their own car/truck. I don't see that as much now. An EV junkyard I'm not sure what would be salvageable/reusable anyway. An EV was junked probably
because batteries are dead, bad drive motor(s), electronic problems.
Dunno how it is where you live, but over the last couple decades I've seen a sharp drop-off of the numbers of auto junkyards around. The only two I knew of in my immediate area are now gone. In one case the owner died and his widow closed the business & sold off the assets. Dunno about the other one.
Trouble is with most modern vehicles (ICEs as well as EVs) is that the electronic modules are very vehicle-specific, some requiring the VIN to be encoded before it will even work, which would entail a trip to the dealer who may or may not be cooperative about that.
A 21st century vehicle is a far cry from an old Dodge Dart or VW bug that you could keep running on junkyard parts. Then again, modern vehicles need a lot fewer repairs/maintenance than older ones did too.
What I know since I was in consumer electronics before retiring is planned obsolescence. Years ago throwing a television or radio away was unheard of. Even drug stores had vacuum tube testers, people kept their TV working or called a repairman. Same with cars.
But how long did those old tube tvs last? Not very. The picture tubes alone were pricey and tricky to replace and only were good for a couple years. Worked in a tv repair shop when I was in high school (mid 60s), and the tvs of that era were nothing to write home about.
I have a 10 year old Vizio flatscreen tv in my living room that still works just fine, never needed any repairs. My parents never got that kind of life out of their old tube tvs.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #155  
I can't tell the difference between various tesla models, but for a car that supposedly sells a million + a year, I don't see very many on the roads.

Dunno how it is where you live, but over the last couple decades I've seen a sharp drop-off of the numbers of auto junkyards around. The only two I knew of in my immediate area are now gone. In one case the owner died and his widow closed the business & sold off the assets. Dunno about the other one.
Trouble is with most modern vehicles (ICEs as well as EVs) is that the electronic modules are very vehicle-specific, some requiring the VIN to be encoded before it will even work, which would entail a trip to the dealer who may or may not be cooperative about that.
A 21st century vehicle is a far cry from an old Dodge Dart or VW bug that you could keep running on junkyard parts. Then again, modern vehicles need a lot fewer repairs/maintenance than older ones did too.

But how long did those old tube tvs last? Not very. The picture tubes alone were pricey and tricky to replace and only were good for a couple years. Worked in a tv repair shop when I was in high school (mid 60s), and the tvs of that era were nothing to write home about.
I have a 10 year old Vizio flatscreen tv in my living room that still works just fine, never needed any repairs. My parents never got that kind of life out of their old tube tvs.
I agree with lots of what you say except I have a 1956 Westinghouse console that still works. I collect old tube radios that still work. I was an electronic technician 43 years before retiring 9 years ago. Our old cars with tube radios still work. Picture tubes can be rejuvenated and last a long time.
I recently repaired our neighbors 1946 Olympic console, her Dad's first thing he bought after marriage for $600, a lot back then. Unusual being AM & FM. All working well, they use it a lot (sentimental value).
My point is old things: TVs, radios, cars, clocks, etc. can last a very long time IF you have knowledge of how they work and ability to repair and access parts if needed.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #156  
I know a few scrapyard owners. They crush cars based on the price of scrap per/lb and the value of the parts/likely hood of people wanting them. EPA has zero to do with it.
Then what was the cash for cars about?

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #157  
I agree with lots of what you say except I have a 1956 Westinghouse console that still works. I collect old tube radios that still work. I was an electronic technician 43 years before retiring 9 years ago. Our old cars with tube radios still work. Picture tubes can be rejuvenated and last a long time.
I recently repaired our neighbors 1946 Olympic console, her Dad's first thing he bought after marriage for $600, a lot back then. Unusual being AM & FM. All working well, they use it a lot (sentimental value).
My point is old things: TVs, radios, cars, clocks, etc. can last a very long time IF you have knowledge of how they work and ability to repair and access parts if needed.
My Mcintosh system was built in the 60s and thorns tt in 58

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #158  
Then what was the cash for cars about?
That is true but it hasn't been in effect for quite a while has it? The VW dieselgate thing made the junkyard owners in know alot of cash, also as long as they had the car title.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #159  
I also like old audio stuff. Not tubed per say but vintage solid state Sansui is what I mainly like. I have a 8080db, 5000A, G6700, and a 1000A. I do have a tubed Magnavox amp that I use for FM radio that still works fine though. I also collect and repair older electronics test equipment. Mostly Tektronix. I probably have around 20 oscilloscopes.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #160  
I also like old audio stuff. Not tubed per say but vintage solid state Sansui is what I mainly like. I have a 8080db, 5000A, G6700, and a 1000A. I do have a tubed Magnavox amp that I use for FM radio that still works fine though. I also collect and repair older electronics test equipment. Mostly Tektronix. I probably have around 20 oscilloscopes.
Youngsters today looking under a car hood are like a chimpanzee looking into a pocket watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.