I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #102  
Yes and what are the chances that the manufacture will have part available for today's EV car 10 years from now ?

Well just like there are wrecking yards for ICE there will be for electric vehicles. In 2023 Tesla will likely build over a million model Ys alone.

Here is an example for comparison , Have owned 7 Pontiac GTOs of different years. All told Pontiac produced just over 1/2 a million GTOs in the ENTIRE ten year run.
There will be Plenty of used spare parts at the auto dismantlers.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #103  
Well just like there are wrecking yards for ICE there will be for electric vehicles. In 2023 Tesla will likely build over a million model Ys alone.

Here is an example for comparison , Have owned 7 Pontiac GTOs of different years. All told Pontiac produced just over 1/2 a million GTOs in the ENTIRE ten year run.
There will be Plenty of used spare parts at the auto dismantlers.
I'm thinking the difference is around here (Virginia) the junk yards crush them after about 10 years old. Wife (Pontiac) & I (AMC) + couple Chevys spent many hours scrounging junk yards years ago...but now hard to find anything pre-2000s.
Back then all sorts of usable parts and lots of people worked on their own car/truck. I don't see that as much now. An EV junkyard I'm not sure what would be salvageable/reusable anyway. An EV was junked probably
because batteries are dead, bad drive motor(s), electronic problems.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #104  
I'm thinking the difference is around here (Virginia) the junk yards crush them after about 10 years old. Wife (Pontiac) & I (AMC) + couple Chevys spent many hours scrounging junk yards years ago...but now hard to find anything pre-2000s.
Back then all sorts of usable parts and lots of people worked on their own car/truck. I don't see that as much now. An EV junkyard I'm not sure what would be salvageable/reusable anyway. An EV was junked probably
because batteries are dead, bad drive motor(s), electronic problems.

I'm not sure, but I think the reason for the older cars to be crushed is the EPA. They don't want people using the old pre-EPA smog engines in newer cars.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #105  
I'm not sure, but I think the reason for the older cars to be crushed is the EPA. They don't want people using the old pre-EPA smog engines in newer cars.
I know a few scrapyard owners. They crush cars based on the price of scrap per/lb and the value of the parts/likely hood of people wanting them. EPA has zero to do with it.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #106  
I know a few scrapyard owners. They crush cars based on the price of scrap per/lb and the value of the parts/likely hood of people wanting them. EPA has zero to do with it.
Besides you can buy crate motors all day long and run them on what control system you want, from mild to wild.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #107  
What I know since I was in consumer electronics before retiring is planned obsolescence. Years ago throwing a television or radio away was unheard of. Even drug stores had vacuum tube testers, people kept their TV working or called a repairman. Same with cars.
Now things are made disposable. How many people work on their late model anything? How many know how? Electric cars...Fuhgeddaboudit.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #108  
Removing every wire and just installing what I needed has solved all my issues.

How does a company as big as Ford have common electrical issues with a vehicle that they sell millions of?

What happens if you have an Electric Vehicle and it doesn't work? Who fixes it? What does it cost to have it fixed? I've ready a few stories with crazy ten figure numbers for repairs.
1) Thoreau wouldn't have seen much electricity, but he would be nodding his head in agreement...

2) Same game as everybody else..... adding lots of bling, @ minimal cost. Anything electrical (all manuf) usually has the worst warranty, short of emissions gear..... Ford has messed up windshield wipers (new, break-thru tech !) on F150s enough in recent years to earn an NHTSA recall. (Not said as a Ford-hater, I have two on the road right now, I just know how this game plays.....)

3) Like Paystar said..... it's tough enough to find Techs to repair electrical problems on conventional ICE..... always been an issue, and it's going to get worse.

I'd been interested to know how Tesla specs out dealerships, for fire-suppression.

Rgds, D.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #109  
Yes and what are the chances that the manufacture will have part available for today's EV car 10 years from now ?
I suspect many consumers will just cycle through new ones @ at faster rate.... not that different than how cell phones are consumed today.....

That won't be me, but I can see that trend playing out.....

Rgds, D.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #110  
I suspect many consumers will just cycle through new ones @ at faster rate.... not that different than how cell phones are consumed today.....

That won't be me, but I can see that trend playing out.....

Rgds, D.
What a disturbing trend to contemplate. The worst part is it's probably very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.