I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #11  
DE basically works like very small/fine sharp particles that works into their exoskeleton joints, and kills them. Think rolling in broken glass. It is cheap, and works, but only when it is dry/powder, and completely harmless to mammals. I've heard snakes don't like it, it more or less causes chaffing between their scales, bur doesn't actually hurt them. It doesn't stay powdery well in humid or open to weather area.

Boric Acid/Borax works the same way, I believe.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but
All sorts of good suggestions. My truck tire also did a pretty thorough job.
For some reason bees and hornets don’t seem to go after me the way they do others. On more than one occasion I have been closer to a nest than anybody else but they have gotten stung. It was the same today… I almost stepped on it before I saw it, and while they flew at me nothing happened.

I looked up Thingy’s profile trying to find the exact quote on his signature but it was gone.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #13  
I like to mix gas and diesel, about 60% diesel. Pour about a quart down the hole and light it. The diesel keeps the mix from being explosive. It just burns for quite awhile. Of course do this at night when the yellow jackets are inside the hole.

Last edited:
   / I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #14  
We have most all types here. FORTUNATELY - they all nest in above ground hives. Right now it's the bald faced hornets trying to get sugar water from the hummingbird feeder. Looks like this will be the last week for the hummers and I'll be able to take the feeder down.

I'll put the last of the sugar water in an open saucer - out away from the house. Open access for all types.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #15  
Sevin dust works well also. Just throw some on the hole. The yellow jackets will take it down the hole as they go in. Last year they were in the ground. This year they built a nest in a paper bag in our utility shed. Both times, all of the yellow jackets were dead the next morning.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #16  
All sorts of good suggestions. My truck tire also did a pretty thorough job.
For some reason bees and hornets don’t seem to go after me the way they do others. On more than one occasion I have been closer to a nest than anybody else but they have gotten stung. It was the same today… I almost stepped on it before I saw it, and while they flew at me nothing happened.

I looked up Thingy’s profile trying to find the exact quote on his signature but it was gone.
Good Morning Jstpssng,
One of the funniest quotes I ever read on TBN, so much so that I included it on all my posts !;)

BTW, that is verbatim his original post !!

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #17  
FWIW: Our local exterminator uses talcum powder in a turkey baster for the ground dwelling yellow jackets. I didn't believe it would until I saw it and then tried it. I use diatomaceous earth. Just fill the baster tube and squirt down the hole.

All the best,

Peter
We did that with Sevin dust and an old mustard bottle as a puffer.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but
I had none of the above on hand ( except for the aforementioned gas) but my tire worked fine.
This was a paper wasp nest literally laying on the ground. Chances are that had I not stomped a bear would have, while headed up through to the adjacent blueberry field.

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #19  
Good Morning Jstpssng,
One of the funniest quotes I ever read on TBN, so much so that I included it on all my posts !;)

BTW, that is verbatim his original post !!
I have my settings set to where I never view anyone's Signatures... Posting your signature here just in case others did not see it in your signature. I miss good old thingy...

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

/ I know that it's gas, and gas is well, GAS, but #20  
We did that with Sevin dust and an old mustard bottle as a puffer.
Yes, well, I grew up around and used lots of pesticides that I know more about now, too.

The local parks use diatomaceous earth or talc because of the lack of off target environmental effects. They can open the trails to use in half an hour or so.

One of our horses came close to an anaphylactic shock reaction. It was a trail ride and my with and the horse were probably #25 or so. By the time they got to the yellow jacket hive in the ground, the yellow jackets were definitely PO. At the next vet check, she went to the vet and said "hey, I know that my horse passed the vet criteria, but I don't think that he's doing ok". She pulled him from the ride. We call it "ADR", "ain't doin' right", where you know the horse isn't right for himself, even though he looks ok otherwise. In another half hour he had welts everywhere, and the poor guy ended up on high dose IV antihistamines, and an IV bag of fluids for a couple of hours. The next day grooming him, I found and removed thirty two spots with yellow jackets still attached. Who knows how many more times he was bitten. He was fine in twelve hours or so, and a real trooper, but that experience put the fear of Yellowjackets in all three of us, and we learned to scoot down the trail at the first sign of one.

Stay safe out there,

All the best,

Peter