I just got carded

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I just got carded #61  
I don't understand how political correctness comes into a conversation about being carded. Policies and laws around limiting purchases to people above a certain age are about liability (or protecting youth from itself) and have nothing to do with political correctness. From Wikipedia, political correctness (politically correct) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society. PC has nothing to do with liability laws that drive businesses policies regarding who they card. It could be argued that older people being offended by being carded makes these liability policies politically incorrect. Personally, I don't mind political correctness as I tend not to want to offend or disadvantage others, just as I don't want others doing it to me. Isn't that the golden rule...do unto others etc. I do get tired of how litigious our society has become and how far you have to go to CYA.

/ I just got carded #62  
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree. I was surprised just how quickly huffing, graffiti, and carding deteriorated. I am sorry that I probably contributed to the regression.

/ I just got carded #63  
I don't understand how political correctness comes into a conversation about being carded. Policies and laws around limiting purchases to people above a certain age are about liability (or protecting youth from itself) and have nothing to do with political correctness. From Wikipedia, political correctness (politically correct) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society. PC has nothing to do with liability laws that drive businesses policies regarding who they card. It could be argued that older people being offended by being carded makes these liability policies politically incorrect. Personally, I don't mind political correctness as I tend not to want to offend or disadvantage others, just as I don't want others doing it to me. Isn't that the golden rule...do unto others etc. I do get tired of how litigious our society has become and how far you have to go to CYA.

Where did PC play into this discussion?...The thread got pruned because of the political side of the topic it has nothing to do with PC...politics is different than political correctness...

The topic is political because laws were imposed to require proof of age requirements to purchase flagged items...the politics of the issue lies in the fact that one side thinks it is easier to treat the symptoms rather than the disease...

/ I just got carded #64  
Where did PC play into this discussion?...The thread got pruned because of the political side of the topic it has nothing to do with PC...politics is different than political correctness...

The topic is political because laws were imposed to require proof of age requirements to purchase flagged items...the politics of the issue lies in the fact that one side thinks it is easier to treat the symptoms rather than the disease...

Oh good grief, not again....

Look. Age restrictions on the purchase of certain items can go back to the 30's, after prohibition ended, when most states set their drinking age to 21, the same age as voting back then. If you want to blame political parties for that, it happened over 80 years ago, and most people do not care in the least in this day and age. The only people that get offended by being asked for I.D. when buying paint, glue, tobacco, alcohol, etc... are grumpy old men and vain women. It has zero to do with politics, as I can't recall the last time I saw anyone run for office on the "I'll card everyone" platform. The vast majority of voting adults agree with these policies. That makes it NON POLITICAL.

Nonpolitical | Definition of Nonpolitical by Merriam-Webster

So please stop bringing politics up in this thread over and over again.

U.S. history of alcohol minimum purchase age by state - Wikipedia

/ I just got carded #65  

Oh good grief, not again....

Look. Age restrictions on the purchase of certain items can go back to the 30's, after prohibition ended, when most states set their drinking age to 21, the same age as voting back then. If you want to blame political parties for that, it happened over 80 years ago, and most people do not care in the least in this day and age. The only people that get offended by being asked for I.D. when buying paint, glue, tobacco, alcohol, etc... are grumpy old men and vain women. It has zero to do with politics, as I can't recall the last time I saw anyone run for office on the "I'll card everyone" platform. The vast majority of voting adults agree with these policies. That makes it NON POLITICAL.

Nonpolitical | Definition of Nonpolitical by Merriam-Webster

So please stop bringing politics up in this thread over and over again.

U.S. history of alcohol minimum purchase age by state - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Curtis Snow Plow, 7'6" Blade (A33349)
Curtis Snow Plow...
2008 Ford F-450 Emergency Truck (A32932)
2008 Ford F-450...
2005 Ford F-350 Pickup Truck (A33544)
2005 Ford F-350...
Trailer (A32932)
Trailer (A32932)
Miller Big 40 Trailer-Mounted Continental Gas Engine, Lead, Stinger, One Ow (A33349)
Miller Big 40...
Pallet of Welding Electrodes 7018 Approx. 450#, E308L Approx. 150#, E309 Ap (A33349)
Pallet of Welding...