i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months
this is an UPDATE, thankfully not a repeat ... I don't want to concern everyone again...

cleats are great if they work for you. my gait does not allow me to use cleats as they would just fall off. I just need to me careful, esp on ice.

Physiotherapist told me that recovery would take about 15 months for the amount of injury that i had - that took me till this past Christmas (2022), so for the past 2 months, my shoulder, though easily tired / aching, has been managing.

i haven't read this post since shortly after i fell. Doing okay now :) Thank you all, Thank You Lord.

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #52  
@scaredychicken it's good to hear you're doing a good bit better. Do be careful!

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #53  
this is an UPDATE, thankfully not a repeat ... I don't want to concern everyone again...

cleats are great if they work for you. my gait does not allow me to use cleats as they would just fall off. I just need to me careful, esp on ice.

Physiotherapist told me that recovery would take about 15 months for the amount of injury that i had - that took me till this past Christmas (2022), so for the past 2 months, my shoulder, though easily tired / aching, has been managing.

i haven't read this post since shortly after i fell. Doing okay now :) Thank you all, Thank You Lord.
Glad you are better. I keep falling and trashing both shoulders. My healing has been taking upwards of a year each time it happens. Wife has been threatening to Bubble Wrap me.

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #54  
Perhaps us old farts should all take yoga to enhance our small motion skills and balance.
I've lived my life doing things slightly unbalanced, things like stretching too far on a ladder, trying to balance on a chair while just barely reaching a bolt, trusting a rope not to break. And have occasionally slipped and WHOOPS.
The whoops seems to hurt more now.
Bubble wrap seems like a good idea. With duct tape to hold it together.

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #55  
Get well soon.
I took a fall this time last year, busted up my back and got a concussion from falling off a farm machine. Everything was fine, then it wasn’t. Could have easily been paralyzed if I had fallen just a few feet differently.
Stayed home and posted on TBN for about a month. Luckily it didn’t snow, so I didnt have to plow.
Caught up on some paperwork and started looking deeply into retirement accounts and finances with a pounding headache.
Life is short-be careful and try to have some fun.

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #56  
I've been trying to skip over this thread because it's just such a real possibility for me I don't care to address. I fell a few weeks back, foot slipped on wet grass. It would have been so easy to take out an ankle, leg, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow or wrist. As it was, I only torqued my right wrist a bit. It was tender for a few days, but no lasting effects. I've become somewhat unstable and have to take every step with far more caution.

I just hate to read about people getting hurt.
I've noticed in the past 10 years that my balance isn't what it used to be.

Used to not think about popping up on the roof with a leaf blower , blowing the leaves out of the valleys, and gutters.

Then, one year, I climbed up on the roof with the blower and realized I was fixing to fall from the steeper portion if I didn't act quickly.

I quickly changed direction and headed for the milder pitch of porch roof before I went over.

Wife heard the bang bang bang in quick succession across the roof and came out and checked.

After that, I rigged up an extension for the blower to avoid that portion of the roof.

Fast forward to last year during a snowstorm. Out walking the pooch, and all of a sudden, my feet were about 3 feet off the ground, and I was headed down and landed on my right hip.

No warning or realization till my feet were up, and I was headed down.

You know the test on how you figure out if you're old or not by falling?????

If people laugh their butts off, then you're still young.

Well, one of the neighbors' kids (early 20's) stopped to check on me with her boyfriend

That was a blow to the ol' ego

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #57  
Glad to Hear you are doing well Scaredy.

Saw the doc yesterday and Got the OK that the broken hip has healed enough to be weight bearing.

Graduating to a cane today.

Very thankful that it wasn't worse.

Be careful out there.

Last edited: