i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
hi all,

this post will take awhile to write -1 finger typing, typos, point form etc ... hust wanted to share explain, be vulnerable for a minute

on wed morning i fell
for me this is nothing unusual, i fall almost daily, this time was dyfferent

background:
i'm healthy, mid 50's, never /rarely sick, pretty tough guy (i think), extremely high pain tolerence (that's subjective; i know :) )
i have had moderate cerebral palsy my whole life... primarily effects Right side of my body, in significant degrees --- strength, balance, dexterity, limited movement, function.
(my bx23s has a few custom features for ease of use)
i can manage pain, normally

wed was different. i fell going into the bathroom ... symply hit floor, when efforts to catch myself failed
my left (good, strong) arm hyper-extended forward, pain was excruciating / worst ever for me ... and i know pain moments
wife and tenant evectually were able to pick me up off floor - i was immobilized
got back to my chair with assistance
only left shoulder sore, arm and fingers numb
could not feel, see anything broken, bleeding, or our of place - tenant is a first responder abd fire-fighter, wife knows me best, saw nothing
911 call for ambulance - hosp is 20 min away, i could not get in a vehicle
even 2 paramedics noticed nothing
yet the excruciating pain, numbness ... 10 /10

it took 4 hrs from the time i fell, before there was any relief
nurses noticed nothing unusual, dr noticed nothing either
9 needles
8 x-rays
morphine and toradol for pain
xrays revealed extremely dislocated left shoulder, torn muscles (dr said that it was missed prior ro x-rays because i'm 'ripped' - lol
popped shoulder back in - things moved about 2 inches over - golf ball sized dislocation

pain is now 3 / 10, numbness b/c of swelling
sling time
this will take months
because ir is my good side --- balance is worse, can't hold things (in either hand), can't get dressed, eat, etc without help, risk of falling again is my concern, can't drive until i can grip steering wheel.
my wife has had to step-up (i am her caregiver normally), so roles reversed.
please pray that we BOTH have patience as i recover ... she says that i make a lousy patient, Bless Her

i will linger in background for now - it took 90 min to write this post

never overlook your health, abilities

cheers, have a good day - ck

1632186804143.png

Last edited:
   / i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #2  
Praying for your quick recovery and that your wife doesn't beat you to death (males don't handle being sick well).

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #3  
Falling is never a good thing. Hope recovery goes well, obey orders both Dr. and wife!

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #4  
Get well soon!

Attachments

• 7A7B011B-F03E-4ABD-ADEC-F5E9D264DE6D.jpeg
    7A7B011B-F03E-4ABD-ADEC-F5E9D264DE6D.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 109
   / i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #6  
Sorry to hear this SC. Hope you are on the fast-track to recovery and you don't PO the wife too badly. But if you do, make it count! :)

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #7  
   / i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #8  
Sorry to hear SC.. I hope you mend soon!

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #9  
Ah man, sorry to hear. I know it sucks, but also glad you didn't smack your head. Take it easy buddy, and listen to your Doc and Wife! :)

/ i fell bad, dislocated LEFT shoulder ... completely immobilized, probably months #10  
Had a neighbor step off a deck and into a hole. Broke is upper arm, tore muscles and ended up needing rotator cuff surgery. I went through that surgery a couple of years ago and holy crap that's a painful experience (couldn't sleep for days on end- in pain all the time), not to mention a lengthy recovery time (a bidet would be really nice to have!). LOTS of connections in that area, hard to immobilize such that you're not triggering nerves.

It's really hard to make this point, but, tucking and rolling into a fall can often times be the best thing (but one first has to account for one's head- in a bathroom I'm not thinking that there's going to be any way of protecting your head, not, unless, you wear a helmet!).

Make sure you allow that thing to recover before putting it through all its paces. PT is your friend.