Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #31  
US Made does NOT include Miller or Hobart divisions of ITW.

Hypertherm is US made from components sourced around the world.

Water in the compressed air erodes gun components and shortens the life of them components. It also coats sensors in the air stream.

You or nobody else is going to take de water out of compressed air where it enters de machine. Water in compressed air is removed at every possible place from compressor to machine or you just eat up gun parts.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #32  
No replacement for displacement, a little bit of extra power is worth the money.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #33  
Tired of not having one. Which do is better in your opinion. I want the 120v option for portability if I ever need it but will use it on 240 mainly. I have shop air but would like the pre installed air dryer and compressor.
I got the Hypertherm 45 years ago. You'll never regret buying good equipment. Hypertherm seems to be the benchmark. The 45 has worked on everything up to and including 3/4" for me. Really the most comfortable on 1/2" and under. The sting of the cost goes away. Poor equipment choice stays forever.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter.
Yup, I went with the 45. And it has been worth every penny. Plus i have a 9500 gen if i need portability.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #35  
I can’t say the same about hypetherm, may have had a bad apple but my experience with them has been not good. My brother bought a Powermax 30, used it 4 times and then went to use it, nothing! Got the main power board replaced under warranty, it lasted for 2 uses, then the machine quit working again. Tried to warranty it again but it was now out of warranty and even though the board was just replaced they said no warranty as the machine itself was outside the warranty period. I did some troubleshooting on it and sure enough the main power board was again faulty. A new one would have cost 80% of what a new machine would cost and with it frying again a second time I suspect something else inside the unit is wiping out power boards. This and the fact that they denied warranty within less than a year of replacing the faulty component means I will not be buying another one of their products.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter.
It seems your experience is in the minority, for sure.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #37  
I have a Hypertherm 65 for about 10 yrs now. No problems. I only run the Motor Guard filter. I run at 110 PSI from a 80 gal tank, 18 CFM @ 100 PSI, 16 CFM @ 175 PSI. The compressor runs hard on extended cutting. I have approx. 200 ft of .25 dia rubber hose in front of the machine, looped. It is runs off a 50 amp breaker not the 80 amp fuses as recommended. Again no problems. Only hand work no machine work.

/ Hypertherm 30 vs Hobart 40i for first plasma cutter. #38  
Hobart makes a good entry level machine, I had and sold one and got the HT microprocessor controlled 80 amp machine. All hinges on what your wallet can bear actually. My HT was north of 6 grand bit I use it all the time on my CNC table and free hand work too. HT has very high quality consumables and also has the Fine Cut consumables that Hobart don't.

Do keep on mid that the Hobart is a conventional transformer based machine while all the HT line is inverter based so they are lighter and have a longer duty cycle.

Both do the same thing actually but the HT will do it faster and with more control.

Like others, I use a Motorguard inline filter and an refrigerated air dryer as well. I would never consider any machine with an on board air compressor as the just don't deliver adequate CFM to be viable.

Wet air will destroy consumables quickly Has to be dry and moisture free.