Traction Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills)

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #21  
OK, thanks to many this all makes sense now. I think one way to look at it is to remember that the pedal on a HST is a speed control, and zero is a speed. "When in the middle, go zero mph.".

RSL360
Except when on a hill and the engine dies or is shut off. Then terminal velocity of the slope.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #22  
Except when on a hill and the engine dies or is shut off. Then terminal velocity of the slope.

Not exactly. If the engine dies, the pump doesn't turn and it acts very much like a brake. The machine will roll slowly, very slowly.... unless a hose breaks! :eek: Then it's back to ZOOM! :)

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #23  
Not exactly. If the engine dies, the pump doesn't turn and it acts very much like a brake. The machine will roll slowly, very slowly.... unless a hose breaks! :eek: Then it's back to ZOOM! :)

Right by definition this would be terminal velocity for that tractor on that slope. Whatever the maximum speed is would be its terminal velocity? Yes? No?

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #24  
I think terminal velocity is the speed an object can attain while falling through a fluid.

This would exclude hydraulic braking and ground resistance, I think.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #25  

In low range my tractor rolls a couple feet an hour shut off in a slope. Not exactly rolling rapidly out of control.

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #26  
   / Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #27  
   / Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #28  
Sliding, rolling, let’s not stop to split hairs when a tractor is rolling down a hill. :D

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills) #29  
Has anyone had a hydrostatic transmission slip into Neutral on a hill?

/ Hydrostatic trasmissions and braking. (Hills)
Has anyone had a hydrostatic transmission slip into Neutral on a hill?

I thought one thing we figured out here was that hydrostatic transmissions don't have neutral. Seems like you can look at them like a speed control, (and zero is a speed, which they will attempt to meet), or just look at it for what it is, an infinitely variable transmission system that cannot be taken out of gear. Of course, it's true that some hydrostatic transmissions have a gearbox connected to them. And it's common to call the whole assembly between the engine the rear axle a transmission. But this is really a hydrostatic transmission plus a gear box. And while virtually all gear boxes have neutral, a HST does not.

What are the takeaways here?
-If you have a tractor that has a HST, and no brakes, always keep the drive train in top shape. Failure of a coupling, or a hose, could have you sailing down a hill.
-Terramites have a parking brake, keep it working. Although it might not be the best way to stop a runaway, it's better than nothing.
-If you do have a gearbox somewhere in your drivetrain, don't disconnect your your drive train on a hill. (Neutral)