hydraulic systems

/ hydraulic systems #21  
"I question your second negative. If I buy a Prince SCV valve for example, the only difference in the three configurations of hydraulics are the outlet section of the SCV."

Keith, you are right to question the second negative. We are both correct up to a point. It is true that some SCVs (selective control valves) do have the ability to be used with an open or closed system pump depending on the parts installed. As you say, these are usually - but not always - the type of SCVs that are made in sections. Also, sometimes the SCV does have a plug that can be exchanged to change its application. My comment was meant to warn you that you cannot count on this convertability in most SCVs.....particularly the ones commonly used as two spool loader control valves. That optional ability makes for a costlier valve than most loader manufacturers want to provide. I assume that if you have one with both abilities then you will know it.

"I am guessing that the nipple on the end plug blocks the open center through the work sections from reaching the outlet. Perhaps simply removing the material will change the configuration?"

Well... MAYBE....above..

"I do not understand when you say the attachments are the same, and it is the output connections of the tractor that are changed. Are there some tricks I do not know about? I would think it is strictly dependent on the attachment valve."

Whoa! I think we need to back up a step. Maybe we took too big of a step right at the first. It is the HYDRAULIC PUMP in the tractor that determines whether you have an open or closed hydraulic system in the first place. You do not have a choice as to what kind of valve you want to use. It is determined by the pump in the tractor. Period. Almost all older compacts tractors as well as all PTO or crankshaft nose-driven hydraulic pumps are open center.
An open center pump has constant recirculating flow and develops pressure when the flow is restricted. Conversely, a closed center pump maintains a constant pressure and develops more flow when the pressure drops. They are worlds apart.
A better way to interpret my answer would be: Regardless of which pump the tractor has, the job of the tractor is simply to provide hydraulic flow to the implement.

Regarding the weight of the Bradco. I don't know the 7LD model, but you might want to check. The smallest Bradco I know if is the 3375 series and it weighs 1100#. Bradcos tend to run about 50% heavier than Kelly, Bush Hog, or GB. for the same lift and depth. And those lighter hoes are more than adequately strong.

/ hydraulic systems
Roger,

Now that I have learned about variable displacement pumps from earlier posts in this thread, I understand the pumps and types of systems, I just misunderstood your post. I realize the system is dependent on the pump. I thought you were talking about modifying the tractor's hydraulic system to fit the attachment.

I was able to pick the boom up, and I could lift either side of the hoe by picking up on the stabilzer. The 7LD (7' deep) is the smallest and lightest Bradco hoe I have seen. From the serial number, I believe this hoe was built in 1987. My Dad's Bradco hoe is only slightly bigger in overall dimensions (8' deep at 2' bottom), and I believe it weighs 2,500 pounds with the subframe. I can not even begin to budge that hoe.

I think with a decent operator, a subframe, and eventually a bigger Yanmar, it will work.

Keith

/ hydraulic systems #23  
No, I didn't know that Bradco ever made such a light weight hoe. Glad you found one though. I've been looking for a new hoe myself, but keep using my old one (a Yanmar hoe, natch) so much that I never seem to get down to the dealer to look at the new ones.
Hydraulics is an endless subject. I'm sure we will get to hammer out some more of it as the system gets built. Its almost as fun to discuss hydraulic systems as it is to run them. Well, almost. Not much beats a backhoe for pure mechanized fun.

/ hydraulic systems #24  
Speaking of back hoes... I wish I had one right about now. I just finished putting up arena lights around my (my wifes? ) horse riding arena.... She like to ride.. but not when it is too hot... I had to run about 700' of conduit and cable... and set 6 light poles.... I'm beat about now... took 8 days on and off.

Finished at 7pm last night.. waited till 8pm, and fired it up... thankfully it worked well... I wasn't looking forward to adding more lights, ad I would need another circuit.

I've seen 3pt backhoes... anyone have the skinny on them. I've heard some scarry things about tractors breaking in half.
I was wondering about a very small hoe to attatch to my ( egads! ) my new holland.. as it is a bigger tractor. Plumbing would be a bit easier... as it has a diverter block already added in the hyd. line.
Are there any small 3pt hoes that aren't too dangerous?

Thanks.

Chris

/ hydraulic systems #25  
We have figured out at least part of the YM1510D hydraulics puzzle. There is a thumb screw on the loader lift valve. If you push the lever down, and turn in the thumb screw, the lever stays down, and the 3pt hydraulics works. I think that means that the valve is just flowing to the low pressure return in this position, thereby completing the circuit and allowing the 3pt to work.

We still haven't figured out what to do to get the loader to work.

Greg

/ hydraulic systems #26  
Some of the Japanese loaders are plumbed so that the 3pt has to be up for the loader to function.

Bruce