Hydraulic limb saw project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #81  
Yeah, I can see where the angle is needed for best orientation. The leaf spring concept could be adapted with them on the topside and underside of the pivot but it would require a major overhaul.

A pair of extension springs, one above and one below the arm pivot might be easier to adapt. The spring above would need to be heavier or adjusted with more preload to support the weight of the saw when not cutting.

I'm sure you've probably considered gas springs also.

Regardless of how your design ends up, it is very interesting and you've done a great job of putting plans into action!

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #82  
So that last silver part is simply a lever extension for the bungee cords to attach to?

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
So that last silver part is simply a lever extension for the bungee cords to attach to?

White holely thing on top.
Now red.
IMG_2197.JPG

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #84  
Should have been white to go with the red and blue!

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #85  
You could also consider aluminum for some items, though that eliminates welding if you aren't set up for it. I could see that big box cover in aluminum for sure.

I've been following the build but haven't commented until now. Nice work!

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #86  
Had to read the entire thread just to make sure the bungee thing was for real. I wouldn't trust a bungee for anything. I would guess they'd become more stretchy as soon as it gets summer when the sun beats down on them.

FWIW, there's a youtube video of a guy rigging a chainsaw in a tall tree that he controlled remotely.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #87  
There is so much that is cringeworthy in that video.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #88  
My only thought in posting it was it showed someone else's attempts to maintain tension on the chainsaw as it made the cut.

I suspect that's the similar issue here with the hydraulic saw is how to maintain the right amount of tension on the saw? OP must be planning something to have built that plate assembly because I don't think he'd build anything like that just to put a few bungees on it.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
Share some experience cutting.
IMG_2196.JPG

Not relying on bungees. They do help controlling bar weight on thick stuff. Jury still out if really needed. Like any new tool, time and experience required to master.
IMG_2188.JPG
Ash blow down this week. Could make a couple of cuts but not the best tool for cutting trees on the ground. Do like the reach and ability take weight off the high stuff.

This saw configuration is a lot stronger and faster than a Husqvarna 372XP. It eats wood like a beaver. Can stall it like any saw. The chain sprocket does have a 1/8” square key on the motor shaft which hopefully is the weak link.

Do like being able to see thru the grapple VS bucket on some cuts.

Have kept the FEL soft ride engaged. While not much of a load for the tractor it dampens movement using and travel.

Like the blade on the left. Motor outlets on the side give thinner profile.

Camera might help at first but experience helps too.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Haven’t been able to notice oil loss from the tractor yet. Chain getting oil. May reduce to one drop per 15-30 seconds? The strength and durability of the chain and bar is certainly being tested. Easily tighten the chain with screwdriver thru the hole on the bar. New chain adjusted twice.

Nice being able to safely and easily cut back all the cab slappers and face floggers. In a couple of hours you can generate a day+ amount of brush to carry off. Have miles to work on. Certainly very happy with the results and will be a valuable tool helping maintain the farm. Been a fun and rewarding project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #90  
Various saw designs use a nylon strap to keep the hinged saw part from flopping down while getting the saw in position on a limb. There is a preferred angle and it's adjustable by the strap ratchet. When the saw is on top of the limb the boom is lowered until the nylon strap has a bit of slack, indicating the saw is setting on the limb and ready to cut. As the saw is powered the saw weight is the force being applied and allowing to saw to go through the limb.

(This is in response to the comment about the bungies.)