Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I've never taken a cylinder apart. I am thinking of buying the cylinder in the link below. It has a stroke limiting sleeve inside and is held together with a snap ring. Can the cylinder be opened up and the sleeve removed with ordinary tools? Appreciate any advice.

0.875x3x0.5 DA HYDRAULIC CYLINDER

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #2  
I have not taken one of that type apart but commonly the stroke limiter is just a sleeve which will mean you have to remove the snap ring, pull the rod and piston out, pull the rod out of the end piece, slide the sleeve off the rod, and then put everything back together. the stroke limiter is should just slide out but you will have to be careful of the orings as they go in the bores they fit in.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question
Creamer many thanks for the guidance. I practiced that on a snap ring cylinder I have already, it was easier to take apart than I thought, and I can see where the limiter sleeve would be.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #4  
Your welcome! Good luck!

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #5  
Do be careful though on the bending load on the ram. Once you take the limiter out if there is a bending load on the ram it will be magnified. If the application you are using it in has just a straight push you should be fine.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #6  
Can the cylinder be opened up and the sleeve removed with ordinary tools?

That's a small cyl. The only thing I was going to suggest is use hi-quality snap ring pliers.

Now that you have taken one apart, be careful when putting the piston back into the cyl,
so you do not catch the sealing ring(s) on the snap ring groove. There are tricks to avoiding
that.

Thanks dfk,

what are the tricks to avoid damage to the o-ring?

also need advice on another small cylinder - see photo. It has a snap ring but no obvious way to get hold of it. What is that trick?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #8  
what are the tricks to avoid damage to the o-ring?

also need advice on another small cylinder - see photo. It has a snap ring but no
obvious way to get hold of it. What is that trick?

Piston seals are not usually O-rings. They are often "U-cup" seals, or some other
type with squared off corners, which can hang up in the slot where the snap ring was.
The trick is to use a filler in the slot so the piston can pass by. The filler (often a
plastic ring) is then removed. Bondo can be used here also.

I can not see the snap ring in your photo. Maybe it uses a wire retainer?

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Disassembly Question #9  
Need another picture of the cylinder from the side. This could be a welded cylinder. You have to machine off the weld to gain access to the insides. Looking at the size, this might not be practical.

Thanks for tips dfk.

Here are pictures of the two ends. The base is welded like usual. No evidence of a weld or joint at the rod end, I filed the paint away to look.