Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked

/ Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked
Time to break out the SeaFoam!

;-)

I would not hesitate to do a HOT immersion in 409 cleaner. That stuff, when warmed up, is aggressive on corrosion products from alu. and it's alloys.
SeaFoam to remove any water in fuel and clean out ...lines/carb? I use this machine a lot and it hasn't sat to get condensation/water in it and I don't have the fuel cap off in rain... I assume you're thinking the SeaFoam will clean out whatever gunk may be in the way - wherever that may be? Forgive my ignorance but what is a HOT immersion? For the carb, toss it in a hot bath with 409? I do have my gallon can of "carburetor cleaner" solvent I could toss it in there over night?

Where is the float level in all of this? The tip of the float valve may be sharp, but is it fatigued? On your style carb, the best you can hope for is the pull the emulsion tube out with a hook. Have you dropped a piece of fuel line in a supply can from the filter and checked if it will run ?
I tried for about an hour to get the emulsion tube out and couldn't get it to budge. The wider "base" of it slides up and down independently (though can't get it out) of the long/tall/thinner tube that goes all the way to top of venturi and that won't budge. The tip of the needle seemed fine but I could always swap it. I have not rigged a supply can as you suggest though can try that next

Looking at the photos in post #12, I hope those are before cleaning, that carb is filthy.

Have you checked the intake manifold ?

The symptoms you are describing sounds like a loose intake manifold screw or a bad gasket.
The outer body of the carb may be dirty, but that doesn't impact the operation of the carb. The throttle and choke arms pivot freely... I visually inspected the intake manifold and all seems good. I'll check bolt tightness. I would think if my head gasket were the issue that the compression test would not have held at 120psi for both cylinders - right?

Those engines have a little plate under flywheel. Gasket goes bad, loses vacuum, gets too much air, have to run on choke.
I'll check this too. Thank you.

GENERAL UPDATE FOR ALL: Again, machine starts easily and normally with choke. Runs fine for about 2 seconds and then dies, unless I pull choke again ......BUT IT IS DYING RIGHT AS THE GOVERNOR IS OPENING THE THROTTLE. Does this help anyonne diagnose what the issue might be - that it dies when the throttle is pushed wide open? (lowering throttle lever on dash doesn't help).

/ Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked #26  
Did you verify your float level?

/ Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked #27  
SeaFoam to remove any water in fuel and clean out ...lines/carb? I use this machine a lot and it hasn't sat to get condensation/water in it and I don't have the fuel cap off in rain... I assume you're thinking the SeaFoam will clean out whatever gunk may be in the way - wherever that may be? Forgive my ignorance but what is a HOT immersion? For the carb, toss it in a hot bath with 409? I do have my gallon can of "carburetor cleaner" solvent I could toss it in there over night?

Yes, hot just means heated, like near boiling water. Nearly everything happens faster when things are hot. ;-)
Seafoam used straight up as a cleaner, not as a fuel additive. If you have a bucket of dunk-it, use that.

/ Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked #29  
No Tom, I did not (shamed). I’ll do that tomorrow.

It's often the simple things that trip us up.

I've been accused of suggesting the obvious on many "puzzles". Often Vindicated.

Wishing you success!

/ Husqvarna LGT 24K54 - engine keeps cutting out when not choked #30  
Well, how'd you do?