Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #1  

FamilyFarm95747

Tractor
John Deere 650
I have an old Howard Rotovator rototiller with a 12 spring twin disc slip clutch instead of the shear pin type Universal Joint. A month or so ago the clutch started smoking. I adjusted the compression springs however since then my PTO spins normally but the rotor only spins above the ground and once the tiller contacts the soil the rotor is not turning. The tines are sharp and I am wondering if the problem is due to the friction disc pads needing to be replaced or if it is something more serious in the gearbox. The Drive Chain appeared intact when I checked. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. I am not mechanically inclined but have been researching this problem, unfortunately the manual doesn't give me a definite cause in the trouble shooting section other than suggesting an adjustment in the compression springs. I've adjusted the compression springs as suggested but no change in the problem. Thanks in advance

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #3  
I would disassemble the clutch and see what you need for parts. From your description it sounds like you should only need two clutch discs. Just about any farm supply store should be able to supply you with new discs.

See if you can't find a parts diagram online to help with the disassembly/assembly. Just Google something like "Howard rototiller model XXX slip clutch parts pdf" or something similar and see what you find.

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #4  
IF you want it "right" you will need to get Howard parts, my experience with Howard clutches is, they don't last all that long using farm store parts.

Next time one of my Howards needs a clutch, I'm switching it to a clutch off my old Woods rotary cutter.

Maybe you are just doing gardens ?, anything will last pretty well with garden tilling.

SR

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question
I would disassemble the clutch and see what you need for parts. From your description it sounds like you should only need two clutch discs. Just about any farm supply store should be able to supply you with new discs.

See if you can't find a parts diagram online to help with the disassembly/assembly. Just Google something like "Howard rototiller model XXX slip clutch parts pdf" or something similar and see what you find.
I have disassembled the clutch and found that the rear disc pad was gone entirely. I've ordered 2 new pads and hope this will solve the issue. thanks

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #6  
It's not uncommon for one disc pad to break into pieces and disappear.

Your owners manual should tell you how tight to set the spring/springs. Keep an eye on that as you use the tiller. The pads will wear in slightly and there is a possibility that the clutch will start to slip. I usually just take a felt pen and put a mark across the discs. That way you can see if they've slipped. Every few years I need to tighten up the springs a small amount.

My owners manual says to loosen off the springs every spring and let the clutch slip a little to burnish off any rust that might have accumulated between the clutch discs and the metal discs. I don't do that because I store my tiller inside and we live in a very dry climate.

That being said I have rebuilt the clutch on a 5' rough cut mower where the clutch had rusted up. He put the mower on a 100 hp tractor and ruined some expensive parts.

Last edited:
   / Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question
My next dilemma will be how to get the clutch off the shaft to place the new pads? Any Thoughts?
IMG_4572.jpeg

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #9  
LOTS of Blaster spray, patience, tapping with a hammer and prying.

Heat as a LAST resort.

SR
I would say heat is the reason it isn’t coming off :). Agree, lots of penetrating fluid and put a puller on it tensioned while tapping on the shaft and gently on the hub.

/ Howard Rotovator Rototiller: PTO Question #10  
I installed shear bolt yokes in a tiller, brush hog & flail mower PTO shafts, and have snapped the bolt couple of times while running brush hog.

Shear Bolt Clutch.jpg