How would you handle this neighbor issue?

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue?
One of the items you should take note of is when they mention removing the mummified berries. Those mummies hold the disease and enable it to keep reinfecting. Its a battle to get the disease under control but what ever you do don't quit spraying if you see the disease present. It only allows it to spread more.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #142  
One of the items you should take note of is when they mention removing the mummified berries. Those mummies hold the disease and enable it to keep reinfecting. Its a battle to get the disease under control but what ever you do don't quit spraying if you see the disease present. It only allows it to spread more.

Good point. We always do a good ground cleanup of grapes, the orchard, and the veggy garden. An advantage in the garden the crops can be moved around to different areas each year.
I'll have her continue to spray. This fungus has been around here for some time so it will take some time to get rid of it.
Thanks again
Ron

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #143  
Robert,
I notice the Elite 45 you mentioned is in the Sterol Inhibitors group.
From the reading it looks to be safe around fruit trees. We have a small orchard very close to the grape arbor so I don't want to save the grape and kill the apple:)

pacerron said:
Robert,
I notice the Elite 45 you mentioned is in the Sterol Inhibitors group.
From the reading it looks to be safe around fruit trees. We have a small orchard very close to the grape arbor so I don't want to save the grape and kill the apple:)

Your fine. Anything I recommend will be safe around fruit trees as I have three acres myself

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #145  
We bought another farm over the winter and have been spending a lot of time there working and fixing the place up. Most of the houses around there are rentals and that is ok. The people have no say in anything so they don't bother us. The other neighbor is the widow of the guy who we bought the farm from and she still farms a smaller area. She is a great lady and is always happy to help when ever she can. But the neighbor on the opposite side has one horse, a half mile horse track, lives in a trailer and owns just under 20 acres with a few small barns on their property. Their trailer is on the opposite side of their property from our border.

About a month ago I was plowing behind the vineyard where I am going to expand the vineyard and the neighbor lady with the horse walks over to talk to me and my father (who just arrived to check on things). Her purpose of coming over to talk is to tell us we can't open up a ditch on our property because the previous owner did supposedly and it flooded the back of their property (all the land slopes to the back of their property). At the time I was plowing and we were not doing any ditch work but she made sure we knew she had a lawyer and she wouldn't be afraid to use him if we did anything she didn't like (very personable exchange).

Fast forward to today and I am on the boundry with my excavator working on digging out stumps along the road and piling pine limbs. There is a shallow swale along the boundry that I would like to clean out as I have water standing on the headland of the vineyard and would like to give it a better path away. As I was working on the stumps I see this ladies husband start mowing over towards me. He mows around the outside blowing the clippings in towards his property. I wave to him as he keeps going and he waves back. So I decide I want to verify the boundry and discuss my idea with him so that they would be included in the decision process and hopefully avoid any hard feelings. When I see him mowing towards me on his second pass around I shut down and hop out of the excavator and stand right on the edge of his first pass waiting for him so that I could introduce myself and talk with him. As he gets up to me he sees me standing there and I wave to him, his mower deck has the deflector propped up so the clippings shoot up high in the air. Anytime I see someone standing next to where I am working I stop. Well this guy says something to me as he gets close and I couldn't hear what he said over his mower but he never stopped and went right past me blowing grass clippings all over me in the process as I stood 3' away from him looking directly at him trying to be neighborly. He continued on his way and never looked back :mad:

I found it extremely rude and actually dangerous what he did and it made me mad. I wanted to try and do the right thing and discuss and include the neighbors with boundry decisions that benifit/affect both of us. I am going to call a surveyor this week and see when they can mark that boundry for me. When its marked I am going to decide my options at that point but am I wrong in feeling upset with these neighbors? The wife introduces herself just to tell me what I "can't" do on my land and the husband blows grass all over me without even stopping. Any thoughts on how I should handle or should have handled it? I keep trying to look at things from their perspective and to a point I could understand where the wife was coming from but I don't know the particulars of what happened as it was quite a few years ago but the husband just baffles me as I can't see any reason how anyone could intentionally blow grass clippings on a person standing 3' away from them on the boundry while making eye contact.

I guess my first move would be to simply ask him "what the heck was that all about?" I think his response will give you a better idea of how to handle the situation.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #146  
I guess my first move would be to simply ask him "what the heck was that all about?" I think his response will give you a better idea of how to handle the situation.

I don't think so - Better to cease communication with them, which I think OP is doing. First, it's dangerous (flying debris). Second, there are no positive signs coming from them, so best to stay away. No real need to approach them anyway, that I know of.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #147  
I don't think so - Better to cease communication with them, which I think OP is doing. First, it's dangerous (flying debris). Second, there are no positive signs coming from them, so best to stay away. No real need to approach them anyway, that I know of.
Yep, he's apparently made his decision and chosen the high road; it's up to them now. If there's a bridge to be burned let them supply the gasoline and light the match. ;)

I find his comments on vineyard management much more interesting and educational... and I'm reminded that I need to start a spray program myself... on a much tinier scale. :D

Jstpssng said:
Yep, he's apparently made his decision and chosen the high road; it's up to them now. If there's a bridge to be burned let them supply the gasoline and light the match. ;)

I find his comments on vineyard management much more interesting and educational... and I'm reminded that I need to start a spray program myself... on a much tinier scale. :D

I just read your reply while driving through one of my vineyards devastated by multiple frosts this year. Its not pretty but I still need to spray to keep next years crop protected.

ForumRunner_20120515_134452.png

dustinfox said:

Your way may ultimately be the correct way but I'm moving in the direction of leaving them be and just do my own thing. Only time will tell if thats the proper course.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #150  
I just read your reply while driving through one of my vineyards devastated by multiple frosts this year. Its not pretty but I still need to spray to keep next years crop protected.

View attachment 265332

Robert--when was the grape photo taken?
They look terrible.