How would you handle this neighbor issue?

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue?
Danno1 said:
They want you to cut down your trees on your land that far away from the property line!!!!!

GMAB.

Those trees block their view of the fireworks she said. Im not worried though

This is what I'm working on. I removed this row of pines as well as a row on the other side of the road. That sides cleared up but I have plenty of work left on this side.

ForumRunner_20120509_152939.png

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #83  
I hope things do not escalate to the point lawyers are needed. Its bad enough having rude neighbors, why make it worse paying lawyers.

Do as you like, but your description of their behavior indicates to me that they are past the point of reasonableness.

"Hope is not a method", as my old First Sergeant liked to say. :D

Another truism I always follow is, "The time to talk to a lawyer is before you need one." :thumbsup:

Good luck!

LMan1967 said:
Do as you like, but your description of their behavior indicates to me that they are past the point of reasonableness.

"Hope is not a method", as my old First Sergeant liked to say. :D

Another truism I always follow is, "The time to talk to a lawyer is before you need one." :thumbsup:

Good luck!

I understand your position, but hope has worked out well for me so far :)

We talked to the surveyor and she should be out later this month

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #85  
Robert, I've read this whole thread and think you are doing great. I don't have a thing to offer you but best wishes and a great harvest.:thumbsup:

jinman said:
Robert, I've read this whole thread and think you are doing great. I don't have a thing to offer you but best wishes and a great harvest.:thumbsup:

Thanks. We had a very rough spring in the vineyards with frosts so hopefully things work out the rest of the year so we can salvage as much of the season as possible.

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #87  
I'm at the boundary where the neighbors from this thread are at and I'm on my side with the excavator burning tree limbs. As I'm watching the fire burn down the neighbor pulls up along side of me on their side. Stares at what I'm doing for a minute then backs out and leaves without a word. I just smiled and waved.

Here are a couple pics. One is where I'm burning (smokes blowing away from the neighbors ) and the other is a view of the trees these neighbors want me to cut.

Excellent. :thumbsup::D

From the photos it looks like the camera has a pretty wide angle lens which will make things look farther away than reality. However, those woods look pretty danged far away from the property line. The people are past rude to ask you to cut down trees. Period. Even more so for trees that far away so that they can get a view of fireworks...

Just smile and wave. Smile and wave. :D

Later,
Dan

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #88  
Sounds to me like you neighbors wanted the property that you bought, but couldn't afford it. They are mad/jealous that it is now yours and not theirs.

Hopefully they won't spray any 2-4d or other volitile herbicide on their side of the line that would drift onto your vineyard.

When my grandfather deeded us the 14.5 acres we live on we had it surveyed. He was dividing a 40 between us and my mother. There is a county paved road on the front side of the property that runs about 100 feet inside the property line (on our side) for the length of the 40. We basically own a 100' strip in our neighbors yard across the street.

My neighbor came over and asked what those survey stakes were doing in his yard. I told him that that was the property line. Actually within 15 feet of his house. He said that the woman he bought the house from told him that he owned "to the road". I asked why he didn't have it surveyed and he said that he believed her. Goes to show that you can't go by word of mouth.

A couple years later his son starts building a dirt bike track (with a bobcat) and part of the track is on the 100' strip. I went over and discussed with him that I would prefer that he not place his track there as it could place liability on me if anyone were hurt. His son repaired the 100' strip to its original state and moved his track further onto his land.

The neighbor and I get along well and nothing else has been mentioned about the property line. I did go over this year with the turning plow and disc and turn him a garden spot. He had spent 1 1/2 days with a tiller trying to till a 20x20 spot. He was very appreciative.

On another note. What type of airblast sprayer are you using. We conversed last year about sprayers when I was looking for one to use in my vegetable enterprise. Pumpkins, watermelons, cantaloups, corn, etc...

I ended up buying a Jacto J400 and really like it.

This is a stock Jacto picture. I have a Kubota tractor.

Chris

Attachments

• j400.jpg
    j400.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 141
   / How would you handle this neighbor issue? #89  
Maybe read the book I mention in my post #54. The man is a professional that advises others how to get out of situations that have escaled to the point of danger. In getting out of things he looks at the chain of events that got to where the problem is now. He analyzes the psychological reasons in disputes and why they occur and actons that could have been taken early in the game that could have resolved it with a wimper and not a major dispute. This book, Gift of Fear was suggested to me by a detective friend and it's SOP for guys in the crime field. When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. Libraries here have lots of copies.

Here's is an example but maybe your neighbors are upset at no more that losing their view of the fireworks and the answer is to offer a deal where they keep all (them included) people off your property and keep an eye on the grapes and you don't obstruct their view. I'm not saying this is an answer or even worth mention but read the book. Maybe the answer is to ask them what's wrong and what did you do? Might be an easy answer. Lot's of maybeys but the book is well-written and easy to read.

Even total jerks can be somewhat dealt with and if they can't you will then have better ideas of how to respond

/ How would you handle this neighbor issue? #90  
Reading this thread (and several others like it), I am always surprised by the number of people that can and do buy property without a survey.

This is not a criticism of anyone and please don't flame me, but I am surprised that (1) the local authorities allow it and (2) you are able to get title insurance on the transaction.

In my county, your property is either a legally defined lot (e.g. in a residential or commerical subdisvision) or "meets and bounds" (10+ acres). If it is "meets and bounds" nothing (legal or financial) happens without a survey. The downside is if you buy/seel/refinance, you need a survey. The upside is you(and the neighbors-via the orange painted stakes) get a survey.

For example, when purchased our property, we first had a construction loan than we converted it to a traditional morg. 6 months later. For both transactions, we needed a new survey. It was extra $$, but I have no doubts about where my property lines are.