How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this? #61  
This is when I CALL A FRIEND, and call in a favour

/ How would you fall this? #62  
Cut compression first and then the tension side. It will drop right down. Be on the high side of the tree and gravity will take it to the low side.

/ How would you fall this? #63  
View attachment 748972
This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
lotta energy stored in this mess. Anyone else have thoughts on approach?
I'm thinking that the root ball will stay where it is. No snap back. You will probably need a machine to push the root ball back in place.

/ How would you fall this? #64  
Start cutting the “lower top” branches (on left in pic) that make contact with the ground and work towards the top of the tree (on right). You’ll going to know right away if they’re supporting the main trunk in the air or not.
Sometimes only a couple support the trunk and others are free. Be advised , if they are supporting the trunk, they can snap and whip or pinch your saw as soon as you start cutting them. Know which direction they want to whip and/or if the kerf is opening up as you cut or closing up on the saw.
If no tension in them they will just fall.
Usually doing this, the trunk will slowly lower itself inch by inch as each supporting branch is eliminated.
By starting low and cutting support limbs towards top you’re not adding as much tension to remaining supporting limbs than if you work in other direction as the top limbs are usually smaller and more bendy as trunk lowers.
Being still connected to the root ball and on berm means trunk may stay elevated after limbs touching ground are cut. This is idea for cutting up, but if too high, place some pieces of wood underneath trunk before you cut it at the stump so it stays off the ground when you cut root ball off.

/ How would you fall this? #65  
Cut 4 acres of big fallen trees just like this, wicked storm came through, most of the stumps stood right up and fell back into the holes when cut at the roots. Made the mistake of cutting some in half first, then I had 15'-20' logs sticking up in the air, that made things more dangerous to drop IMO.
If you want to tackle this, clean up the tree top removing as many branches as possible without removing too much weight to keep the tree down. Then cut the trunk. I'm just a do-it-yourselfer so this is not a professional opinion, just learned from experience.
I never had some of the awesome equipment some of you have.

/ How would you fall this? #66  
are you expecting to save the root ball, and part of the trunk ?

IF it can be reached, I think attacking the root ball end (top to bottom) would make the most sense / safest method to free it. It can be prettied up, de-limbed, cleared later.

I'd still call for back-up

a natural catapult if cutting from the other end (add yard waste first)

1654531144585.png

/ How would you fall this? #67  
Work on the rootball first! ......When you see the trunk start to lay down you know you are once again working with the gravitational energies of the tree. There is no way to know what kind of 'bound' energy is in the fall until you see it begin to move on its own. ....Bound energy could force that trunk to 'slab' on you during a cut, or create a wild shift in the log as you cut it.

/ How would you fall this? #68  
I would limb it first. It is not gonna go downwards. I would pay
real close attention as i am limbing it to see if it raises upward as the limb weight lessens.
That should tell you how much pressure the stump is having on it.
If the stump is pulling up pressure then notch the top of the log down by the stump then up cut
till it starts squeezing thr bar then chop from the top down. finish with a chain on the trattor on the small end.
I would then leave as long of a pole out of the main part of the tree in case
I needed a long pole for something. A swinging target for your gun range maybe??
Or a rope swing into the pond??
Never burnt cottonwood so dont know if it is any good for firewood.
In my humble opinion

/ How would you fall this? #69  
I'm thinking that the root ball will stay where it is. No snap back. You will probably need a machine to push the root ball back in place.
As certified sawyer I can't agree, simply because i don't think we can see the rootball. I assume based on discussion in the thread (we all know about assumptions) that what i originally thought was the rootball is actually the berm. if it is the berm then,
Was the tree that fell over on the berm (doesn't look so) or was its base on the other side of the berm. if the first then it should snap up because the root tension is keeping the crown up. if the latter cutting near the berm will allow the significant weight on the other side to drop. All this being a WAG based on one unclear picture. More pics of the entire situation would generate a lot better answers.

But, if you don't have a very clear understanding of the loads/forces involved and how to mitigate them don't try to solve this yourself - find someone who does. Things like these could be simple/easy or deadly. The details and approach make all the difference.

One thing to do before taking pics- clear the area more- you will need to clear some for safety anyway and better viz will yield better armchair analysis.

/ How would you fall this?
I'm gonna clear space near the base for sure - I'll send a bunch of pics whenever I get to doing this!