How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other?

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #1  

crmorse

Tractor
Kubota L47 TLB
Hi, I need to learn how to weld 1"x2" bar to each other at a 90d angle. I wrote up a full post on this site's sister-site Welding Site but I am also cross-posting it here because I need to finish this project this week and traffic there is lower since it's still new.

https://www.weldingsite.com/threads/how-to-weld-1-x2-bar-to-each-other.295/

I'll read replies here and there both.
Thanks!

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #2  
What are you welding with? How thick is the metal?

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #4  
I thought we lived in a three dimensional world??? lol

What's it for? How critical? Any safety issues if it fails?

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #5  
For those that want to know more but not badly enough to follow a link:

Quoted: I recently purchased a SSQL to pin-on adapter for my telehandler[1]. Unfortunately, I misread the model number and it doesn't fit my unit correctly. Even worse, round-trip shipping would cost even more than it's worth. Fortunately, the only thing wrong is the spacing between the pin-on brackets is too wide. I've successfully cut them off and measured where they should go. However, I've never welded anything this thick before and while it will NOT ever be supporting anything life threatening, I don't want to create a hazard zone either....

The configuration is 1" x 2" flat bar stock running horizontal with the 2" side facing the brackets. The brackets are also 1" wide and mounted perpendicular to the cross bars so that the 1" wide face is against the 2" face. I have a 200A stick welder and a selection of 3/32" and 1/8" rods mostly of the 6013 and 7018 variety plus a few others. I feel better with the 6013 but I think the results of the 7018 are actually better.

Based on some videos I've watched on the subject I think I should grind in a bevel on the brackets and lay down a root pass with 3/32" 6013, clean it up, and then blend in filler passes with 1/8" 7018 until the weld fillet is about 3/16" thick which would be about 3/8" wide.

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #6  
Pictures always help immensely.

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #7  
I am far from an expert on welding, but I always got better penetration with 6011 rods than 6013 rods.

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #8  
The reply to your post in Weldingsite has it covered very well. And, as he notes, if you can heat both parts it will be helpful. Everything I've read about welding thicker steel (around 1") really expects it to be heated before welding. Your control of the heat affected zone will determine if it warps. I would use short root passes at all 4 points and let it cool, then another short root pass, etc before doing the filler pass. Note: I am not a professional welder and don't normally do anything over 1/2", but have been studying up on 1" because I have a project that needs 1" steel. There is also a forum for professional welders at weldingweb dot com and I've found them to be very helpful.

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other?
Sorry for the extra steps guys, I thought I was saving the folks that read both forums the aggravation of double-posting but it seems I missed the mark.

Well I started laying out last night and discovered another trip up. On my model the top and bottom pins are aligned vertically and these brackets have about 3" of offset. I think I've decided to mount an "ear" on the back of the bracket to realign the pins but I didn't take enough measurements before I came in last night so I'll have to go measure some more before I can be sure if that will work like I'm thinking. I'll get some pics tonight

/ How to weld 1"x2" bar to each other? #10  
Just some to think about. I'm a pretty good welder and torch man. The equipment here includes a Bobcat motor-driven 250, an older big Miller wirefeed, and a Lincoln squarewave 200 for tig.

But... good welding is all a matter of experience. My expertise is more in thinner metal & alloys. I do a lot from sheetmetal on up to about 1/4", but rarely beyond that.
When I need a structural weld in heavy metal I call up a local guy who has a mobile welding rig with a larger engine-driven welder. Most of his work is with heavy steel fab & he understands it.