How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs

/ How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #11  
check power to the solenoid. you can pull the solenoid and cycle the key. should be moving in and out.

/ How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #12  
I would add one small item to @Rebeldad1's great advice. You need to ground the solenoid body.
Air intake is clean and clear.

I cracked open the injector furthest from the pump but I'll go back and crack the one that's closest.

How do I check to see if the " fuel solenoid isn't stuck closed"

Thanks for to EVERYONE for the advice and tips...!!!!!!!
If you cracked one injector line and you aren't getting any diesel, then I would start by backing up the fuel path. Check that the prefilter is getting diesel, check that the prefilter is clean, check that the fuel pump is moving diesel to the filter, etc. Is there by chance a fuel cutoff on the fuel tank?

All the best,

Peter

/ How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs
I have included pictures of the fuel filter, fuel pump and unknown wire that’s not connected.

I removed the output house from the fuel filter housing (pic 1) and turned over the engine about 60 seconds. Nothing is going to the injectors. Removed the rubber cover from what I assume is the the fuel solenoid (pic 2) and it was full of fuel. I can’t see any electrical connections on the solenoid?? It’s easy to get to and I’ve looked at it very close. There’s an orphaned wire (pic 3) and I can’t find anywhere to connect. It doesn’t appear to be factory based on the crimp. It’s short so there’s only a very limited area where it can be used.

The solution is probably in front of my face but no matter how hard I look I can’t figure it out.

Attachments

• D83C3405-B238-4CD8-9031-EC21127CAD14.jpeg
    D83C3405-B238-4CD8-9031-EC21127CAD14.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • 64869568-781E-4032-B05E-09EA0F425B73.jpeg
    64869568-781E-4032-B05E-09EA0F425B73.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 3C03B7A6-7024-46AA-A59A-312021F77FF3.jpeg
    3C03B7A6-7024-46AA-A59A-312021F77FF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
   / How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #14  
I don't know if your Deutz is like mine, but I think a little to the right of picture three is the oil pressure sensor, that's takes a wire terminated much like the one you show. Does the wire have 5V or 12V on it when the key is turned to on?

All the best,

Peter
F3L20111 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
   / How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #15  
I have included pictures of the fuel filter, fuel pump and unknown wire that’s not connected.

I removed the output house from the fuel filter housing (pic 1) and turned over the engine about 60 seconds. Nothing is going to the injectors. Removed the rubber cover from what I assume is the the fuel solenoid (pic 2) and it was full of fuel. I can’t see any electrical connections on the solenoid?? It’s easy to get to and I’ve looked at it very close. There’s an orphaned wire (pic 3) and I can’t find anywhere to connect. It doesn’t appear to be factory based on the crimp. It’s short so there’s only a very limited area where it can be used.

The solution is probably in front of my face but no matter how hard I look I can’t figure it out.
If you aren't getting fuel out of the fuel pump, (#2), when the engine is turning over, then check to see if fuel is going in. If you do have fuel going in, and no fuel out, then you need to service or replace the fuel pump. It is a mechanical fuel pump. It doesn't look like you have a prefilter.

I believe that the fuel shutoff solenoid is around the corner, nearer the fan belt, I think. The "L" shaped lever to the right in figure 3 is the manual fuel shutoff/emergency shutdown.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs
I don't know if your Deutz is like mine, but I think a little to the right of picture three is the oil pressure sensor, that's takes a wire terminated much like the one you show. Does the wire have 5V or 12V on it when the key is turned to on?

All the best,

Peter
View attachment 767550
Your engine looks almost identical to mine other than the color. What’s your Deutz powering??

/ How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #17  
This one, a Power-Trac 1445;

I need the slope capabilities of the PT1445 here on the ranch most days. Like today, when I had to go check the water system after the 5.1 earthquake that was 3-4 miles away. The pasture below the water tanks has a 25 degree slope on it in places.

It has the slightly newer F3L2011 engine that has a few more emission and noise reduction tweaks to it. The tractor is basically the Deutz power three hydraulic pumps; the wheel motors, the PTO, and another for everything else. Very simple and reliable machines. Made in Virginia.

The Deutz engines are common on things like concrete pumpers, chippers, and stump grinders as they just run. I see them all over. Foley engines has parts, and videos on their website, and on YouTube.

All the best,

Peter

/ How to wake up diesel engine that’s been sitting about 3 yrs #18  
You might also look at this thread, and the references in it.

All the best, Peter