How to "undercoat" mower deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #61  
And I think it has something to do also with the size of the deck, my cc 54" builds up with grass terribly but my smaller craftsman 42" hardly builds up at all, I only mow when grass is totally dry

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #62  
The problem with the underside of a mower deck is the sandblasting effect that occurs all the time in there. As a result no coatings will stick to anything like that. What is really needed is something that is embedded in the metal that can do the job of "non stick". Maybe at time of metal fabrication of the decks. A chemist could probably figure something out but really, how important is it ? Is it worth a pile of cash to do so ? I'm betting not.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #63  
The problem with the underside of a mower deck is the sandblasting effect that occurs all the time in there. As a result no coatings will stick to anything like that. What is really needed is something that is embedded in the metal that can do the job of "non stick". Maybe at time of metal fabrication of the decks. A chemist could probably figure something out but really, how important is it ? Is it worth a pile of cash to do so ? I'm betting not.
Like maybe those skillet commercials? Where they melt hard candy and it slidesright out? :unsure:

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #64  
Is it worth a pile of cash to do so ? I'm betting not.
I agree.
To have a "Gotham Steel mower deck" would probably add at least $200-300 to the product judging that a little 14" skillet with the stuff costs around 40 bucks.
Even the pans themselves wear out to say nothing of a mower deck.

Last edited:
   / How to "undercoat" mower deck. #65  
I agree.
To have a "Gotham Steel mower deck" would probably add at least $200-300 to the product judging that a little 14" skillet with the stuff costs around 40 bucks.
But wait! You can get a second deck free! Just pay an additional fee!

Seriously, I would pay a few hundred more for a non-stick deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #66  
Most important way to prevent the rust is to get the grass out after every mow. I have a farm jack and lift the mower up afterwards and pressure wash the underside, so no rust at all. When I prepare the mower for winter storage in an unheated storage barn I spray the underside with fluid film.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #67  

I am convinced that whatever kubota uses on their buckets would be a good coating. I can move sand and gravel all day and none of the paint will be damaged. I have dug thousands of feet or deep trenches with my backhoe and the edge of the teeth is all that had warm off. That would make a great mower coating

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #68  
I am convinced that whatever kubota uses on their buckets would be a good coating. I can move sand and gravel all day and none of the paint will be damaged. I have dug thousands of feet or deep trenches with my backhoe and the edge of the teeth is all that had warm off. That would make a great mower coating
I'm thinking it's not painted but some type of powder coat concoction.
Another reason might be is that debris and stuff isn't hitting these areas like at 200 mph as under a mower deck experiences.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #69  
Seriously, I would pay a few hundred more for a non-stick deck.
Might last you a few weeks.
People complain of the non stick surface on these pans lasting less than 6 months but that is a high heat situation.
The deck needs to be diamond coated underneath with zirconium for $39.95 but think of all the people you'll fool who won't be able to tell it from real thing..

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #70  
I'm all for good maintenance but there is a matter of value. How many rusted through decks have you seen. I've seen cracked decks and bent decks but not rust holes.