How to rid Coyote's

/ How to rid Coyote's #41  
I have found this to be the best remedy for nuisance coyotes. Also the best remedy for ensuring I have a smile on my face at end the day! :D

This is completely legal and a direct bolt on to most all AR and AK variants. (With buffer tubes to allow for the "slide" or "bump"). Great fun!

/ How to rid Coyote's #42  
Before making statements like that (both of them wrong), you ought to do your homework.

#1 People in tree stands 20 ft or more above the ground are quite invisible to coyotes and the scent is carried way above them, so their nose may not help them either. Additionally, bow hunters are often in full camo, none of the hunter orange nonsense, unless it is an "all legal weapons season". So, plenty of people doing archery hunting for deer will shoot coyotes with their bow since the coyotes have no idea they are there.

This guy is not even employing those techniques, but is dealing with aggressive coyotes the like of which we do not have here in the midwest:

#2, you ought to educate yourself regarding what is legal for snaring. Can't speak for everywhere, but the rules and regulations regarding snaring in MI are profuse. The snare attachment has to be able to break away at a defined force, in case a larger than target animal steps into a smaller snare. It is not permitted to set snares which employ any kind of spring mechanism to tighten the loop around the animals neck. Only the animal tugging on it will tighten it. There has to be a ferule which prevents the loop from closing beyond a pre-defined size, to PREVENT strangulation of the animal. Thus the snare only "holds" the animal and cannot choke it. If the animal chokes your snare is probably illegal. Your personal info has to be on a metal tag fixed to each and every snare so the field officers can come pick you up if you do anything illegal. The snares have to be checked at least once every 24 hrs.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/THEBOOK12_05_144690_7.pdf

Of course they are deadly, but a bow can't kill something that is too far away to actually be a true threat.

& a Snare will kill absolutely anything that sticks its neck into it. That solution suks.

Last edited:
   / How to rid Coyote's #44  
Richard, coyotes have expanded their territory under the same conditions in which wolves were all but eliminated. They are intelligent, adaptable and parents can teach pups specific skills and techniques that they have learned which you might not see in a different pack.

Having said that, they will respond to predation by changing their behavior. Being effective with doing that is the problem for most people. Since they are smart, they will quickly learn your habits and whether or not you pose a threat. If you spot one and want to take a shot, you need to have high confidence in making a kill, since a second opportunity will be much harder to come by. Basically, you need to develop your skills elsewhere and then, starting with the boldest individuals, do the "one shot one kill" treatment with them. Most of the time they are not alone and the second tier coyotes will then generally pull back from the danger zone or change their tactics to be nocturnal only.

For the nocturnal coyotes, depending on your situation (livestock, backstop, distance to neighbors, local laws) you might be able to either use a predator light to spot them, or if there is too much risk of having livestock behind the coyote, use either Gen 3 or thermal sighting equipment. That is a pretty major investment. In MI one is limited to rimfire rifles at night, so that is an added frustration. Having said that, I have sniped away at them at sunrise and sunset with my 243 Win and 95gr Berger VLD's and after a time none dared to show themselves during the day, thus I had to go after them at night. My case is extra complicated with 3 different clans of coyotes which all work independently, a blonde clan, a black clan and the reds. I had to kill members of each clan, day and night, and employ my special weapon (drink a lot of tea and mark my territory) before predation of the sheep really started dropping off.

Every summer the adults have "pup training camp" where the adults will pick off a sheep in broad daylight while people are at work, and then have the pups try to figure out how to kill it. if it gets away, they go out and grab another and try again. By this process it is not uncommon to lose 4 sheep in a couple days due to shock, heat stroke and infection. The farm has a large guard dog (Great Pyrenees), but it is most active at night when the coyote activity is greatest and thus it is too late for the sheep when the daylight attacks occur. The coyote are not interested in eating the sheep during the daylight raids, they seldom get more than a pound or 2 of meat off the sheep, but of course this is from a live animal that then has to be euthanized.
Graphic example:
The reason we kill coyotes.jpg

One has to be willing to keep after it, since there is fresh blood every season...

I couldn't post a second video in the previous posting so here is a tree stand bow triple

Seems we have coyote's around us.

At night, then can make the worst racket.... sounds like they are simply eating each other (or something else) alive....

We have the obligatory small dogs (note avatar) and cats.

Over the years, it sounds like there are more of them and at times, getting pretty close to the house. Wife says she has heard them directly behind the house in the woods (woods start about 20' behind the house).

I get that their voices carry and they might be a distance away however, with some dogs on the other side of the farm as a known location, these guys are pretty close.

So, that said.... I understand there is an open season on them year round however, you have to shoot them during the day or something like that?

(I'm not a hunter, own no guns but, am not against any hunting especially if it means thinning out little SOB's that might create a real bad night for me if they ever got ahold of one of our dogs or cats)

I'm now willing to wage some war on them but, have no clue what might work.

Poison? Nope, don't like that
Live traps? I'm guessing that won't work
Buy a gun, buy some night vision? (now you have my attention)

The land we live on is surrounded on three sides by a lake so their ways in and out are somewhat limited. If I could put a dent in them, it might take them a while to repopulate since their ways in here are restricted.

Thoughts?

It really is a blood curdling sound they make when they are doing whatever they are doing. What ARE they doing when they sound like they are eating and attacking something alive?

Last edited:
   / How to rid Coyote's #45  
Must have been a democrat Coyote. They have no common sense either.

Coulda been........definitely from Wash DC.......there isn't a politician in that town with a bit of common sense......two dumb blondes running for Prez.!

/ How to rid Coyote's #46  
Honestly, if you don't hunt or own guns now I'd say leave it to someone else. People ask me all the time to come coyote hunting on the farm. The ones I let come have mixed success. The guys that do the best have mucho dinero and time invested.

Agree with the first sentence. Ask around, there is always someone that is into hunting them and would appreciate the opportunity to hunt your property. They are very sneaky animals.

/ How to rid Coyote's #47  
Leaving human scent around works to keep them at a distance if they have been hunted in the past. Since you are on a peninsula walking around the area and leaving scent around will keep them wary. Maybe hang some worn clothing on bushes. If they have not learned to fear humans you better just get used to them.

State governments have tried to eradicate coyotes for decades. With dogs, trucks and planes hunting them. Even paying bounty on ears. They just make more coyotes.

/ How to rid Coyote's #48  
Unless they associate the scent with dying, you can forget about it. This is why wolves and coyotes have to be hunted. So that they know that being near people is unhealthy. Else, like California, they will be eating you, your kids and your pets.

/ How to rid Coyote's #49  
Unless they associate the scent with dying, you can forget about it. This is why wolves and coyotes have to be hunted. So that they know that being near people is unhealthy. Else, like California, they will be eating you, your kids and your pets.

That is true. Canada had a elderly couple killed by coyotes several years ago. They must fear you.

/ How to rid Coyote's #50  

Exactly, shoot them back, and they will keep distance. They must associate human activity with fear.