How to rid Coyote's

/ How to rid Coyote's #31  
There is no doubt - a crossbow can kill a coyote. The major problem is being close enough to be effective. The coyotes, here, are right in my yard at night. During the day it's very seldom they are closer than 100 yds. I have a 22-250 sighted in at 300 yds and and a Redfield 6x18 scope - its difficult to get a good shot even with that.

Remember - a coyote is just a hotdog dressed in a heavy, fuzzy wool coat. I've made many shots that simply zing right thru the hair. And once you shoot - the coyotes will not "show" for several days.

It's true a crossbow is no long range proposition. I like our .243 for that . But I was thinking you could nail one of the short range dumber ones. Probably just increase the IQ of the pack :)

/ How to rid Coyote's #32  
You guys here about the blond coyote that got stuck in a trap.......chewed off three legs to get out and was still stuck in the trap.......go figure.

/ How to rid Coyote's #33  
We have lost some cats to them also. We bring our cats in at night, other wise the two we have now would be gone also. They are hard to hunt, you can call them in, but as mentioned, its not always effective. The best way, and I've seen it done in my area, is get a group of people together. They ride around in pickups and honk horns and make a lot of noise to spook them out in the open and then shoot them. This is very sucessfull but it takes a lot of land owners to allow it and depending on the terrain around your house, might not be possible.

/ How to rid Coyote's #34  
Here's the problem.In a pack only the alpha female breeds. If you kill this female all the females will breed. You will end up with the the same number of coyotes or more. bounty programs are a miserable failure because of this.
We have a couple of packs that seem to come and go, and I have an individual who lives in a thicket nearby. None them bother my neighbors or me. Their main prey seems to be 'possums and rodents. They also eat carrion and berries.
I rather enjoy listening to them in the evening.It's fun to watch them hunting field rats.Unlike a dog they are very graceful and fluid in movement. In general they are better neighbors than some humans around here.

Excellent post. I agree completely.

They will be around wether we like it or not and, as stated, killing them INCREASES their numbers because of their breeding habits. They are very interesting animals and they are here to stay. It's far better to live with them as neighbors than trying to kill them all.

There is a lot more to these dogs than most people realize. Enjoy their wild song at night. Notice how they travel around the area as they sing.

/ How to rid Coyote's #35  
We have had coyotes around here forever. They are very good at digging out voles and hunting ground squirrels in the vineyard. I prefer them to poison or gunfire, since there are other people and pets in the area. I have always enjoyed their yips and howls at night, none of our pets are left outside after dark as a precaution. I don't feel the need to kill something on my land, if it poses no danger and does no damage. I think they are kind of like mice, if you kill a bunch of them around the house, God just makes more of 'em.

/ How to rid Coyote's #36  
I am curious, why in the world would you doubt that someone could kill a coyote with a crossbow? Crossbows are powerful, accurate weapons.

Maybe Im underestimating a crossbow's range? :confused3: I question whether you could get close enough (especially with ANY reliability). Maybe I'm wrong; I have a fair amount of experience hunting coyotes but none with a crossbow- just what I've read.

/ How to rid Coyote's #37  
Maybe Im underestimating a crossbow's range? :confused3: I question whether you could get close enough (especially with ANY reliability). Maybe I'm wrong; I have a fair amount of experience hunting coyotes but none with a crossbow- just what I've read.

Some people may be able to make effective hits at 60 yards with one, but I think 40 to 50 yards would be more realistic for most people. About the same as a shotgun with the proper choke and buckshot. or slugs. I have had dedicated bowmen claim they can make good hits at 100 yards, and maybe some can, but I know I can't.

/ How to rid Coyote's #38  
Some people may be able to make effective hits at 60 yards with one, but I think 40 to 50 yards would be more realistic for most people. About the same as a shotgun with the proper choke and buckshot. or slugs. I have had dedicated bowmen claim they can make good hits at 100 yards, and maybe some can, but I know I can't.

I'd pay a thousand bucks to see someone hit a coyote at 60 yards with any sort of bow around my place... Simply too much going on for it to happen any other way than dumb luck. A person could turn old, gray, and to dust before ever getting a properly skillful shot off. Never a chance for any real aim around my place.

/ How to rid Coyote's #39  

Impressive distances but I'd even be moderately impressed to see someone get a shot off at 50yds. Maybe I have too much respect for the coyote.

/ How to rid Coyote's #40  
You guys here about the blond coyote that got stuck in a trap.......chewed off three legs to get out and was still stuck in the trap.......go figure.

Must have been a democrat Coyote. They have no common sense either.