How to rid Coyote's

/ How to rid Coyote's #11  
I guarantee they will eat your cats, and smaller dogs too. We have lost some cats to them. 12 gauge with #4 or even 00 buckshot will work out to about 40 yards. They get pretty wary after being shot at even if not killed. They are NOT stupid, and they learn pretty fast. I blast when ever I get a chance, but I don't get a lot of chances. A 12 gauge pump shotgun is a good investment in any case..if you have open areas (fields) and a sufficient backstop then an AR-15 is a good remedy for them.

/ How to rid Coyote's #12  
It's probably better to bring the cat in at night. You can't really tell how far away they are from their singing. Killing them is one of the things that INCREASE their population. And killing them for fun is a very ugly thing to do.

Enjoy their song. You chose to live in the country and they are part of it. If you want to know a bit more about what they might be like, read the thread "Found a coyote, I think" in the Rural living section. You might find they are much more like your dogs than you thought?

We have a lot of them around here too. I like listening to them at night with their wild kind of joy.

/ How to rid Coyote's #14  
I borrow an electric call from a friend. The most common kill is cats and chickens around here so I use a chicken distress call, seems to work well. I set it up at night and wait quietly for one to come out of the brush. It works well for the ones that are used to hunting around houses. Once I kill the one or two there are no problems for a while but eventually they come back. I use an AR or the shotgun.

/ How to rid Coyote's #15  
Coyotes are around the hous in SoCal but it is part,of,living here.
The more we take away their environment the more they will bother us.
They also work the area in cycles, I think that allows the food sources to recoup a little or just get used to them not being around.
My 20 ha with 4 shot does the trick nicely, get one and they stay away for awhile.

I don't think you will get rid of them completely !

/ How to rid Coyote's #16  
There was recently another thread on here and many were saying what I heard before. They are opportunistic. Make it hard they move on. If you take out a couple they won't be back for awhile.

Not sure how much is habitat destruction. What I've been reading says there are likely more here than 100 - 200 years ago. Limited predators and people aren't after pelts like they used to be.

/ How to rid Coyote's #17  
First thing I would do is to alter the habitat--for whatever they are eating or for them. If you have brush around your place, clear the brush.

I have limited, but interesting experience with them. Just after we built our house--brush & scattered timber on one side and nursery stock on the other. Got a call from my wife. She had been eating breakfast and looked up to see a coyote sitting on our back deck watching her thru the glass door, not 15 feet away. Stayed 2 or 3 minutes.

Coyote got our cat shortly after we moved into that house. Used to see feral cats, but they slowly disappeared.

A kitten followed us home & we decided to keep it. When he was an adult, we used to let him out in the evening to relieve himself before we went to bed. One night he didn't come back. It was November so I left for work before daylight & there wasn't much light to search for him or his remains before or after work. Next morning I opened the door to leave & he came shooting in, sopping wet and smelling of pitch. So he had spent 2 nights up in a tree. He spent the whole day by my wife's side.

When I was young I got a varmint call. Friend & I set up one night, back to back in an area with lots of rabbits and I blasted away on the call. In just a minute or 2 we heard a noise overhead. Flashlight showed an owl about 2 ft. above Bob's white cowboy hat. Let things quiet down, blew on the call again and sure enough, that owl came back again, this time maybe 4 ft. above Bob's hat. That owl came back about 4 or 5 times.

Another time I was a greenhorn in the woods, sat down with my legs stretched out in what I thought was a likely spot and blew on the call. In a minute or so several mice came from behind me scampering along my legs and some over my pants heading into the weeds. Something was behind me but when I turned around it was gone. Never heard a sound.

All I can say is those wounded rabbit calls are pretty good for some critters.

/ How to rid Coyote's #18  
At night I can hear three distinct packs of coyotes - to the West, to the South, and again, to the North. They will let me know they are around and always looking for the easy meal by "marking their territory". They poop where my driveway ends and dumps into my yard and again at the far edge of my lawn.

The neighbor went on a hunting spree this spring and over a two week period he killed seventeen. He was pleased with his success and asked when he was last over if I noticed any difference. Unfortunately, I have noticed no difference. I think killing the seventeen just made way for those in close outlying areas to move in a little closer.

Its kind of like spraying the yard and killing mosquitos - the vacant territory is soon repopulated by those from close outlying areas.

Its also like digging a hole in the sand, near the ocean and hoping to dry up the ocean by baling water out of the hole you dug.

There is a never-ending supply - - always has been, alway will be.

/ How to rid Coyote's #19  
Here's the problem.In a pack only the alpha female breeds. If you kill this female all the females will breed. You will end up with the the same number of coyotes or more. bounty programs are a miserable failure because of this.
We have a couple of packs that seem to come and go, and I have an individual who lives in a thicket nearby. None them bother my neighbors or me. Their main prey seems to be 'possums and rodents. They also eat carrion and berries.
I rather enjoy listening to them in the evening.It's fun to watch them hunting field rats.Unlike a dog they are very graceful and fluid in movement. In general they are better neighbors than some humans around here.

/ How to rid Coyote's #20  
If I did not have dogs of my own, I would have no problem with them. I have a senior Weimariner that would be easy for them to take down and a 5 year old Doberman that would pose a challenge for one or two of them. But a pack would over power him as well.