How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I found a small seal leak on my Boomer 24 tractor backhoe stabilizer this morning. I am pretty sure I can replace that seal. I just need to know where to look for some "How to do it" instructions. I am sure someone else has done it once or twice.
Sherpa

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #2  
I found a small seal leak on my Boomer 24 tractor backhoe stabilizer this morning. I am pretty sure I can replace that seal. I just need to know where to look for some "How to do it" instructions. I am sure someone else has done it once or twice.
Sherpa

I do not know your particular model but there are lots of videos on youtube that walk you through cylinder rebuilds. Not all cylinders come apart the same way and some are easier than others. Seal kits are usually available through your dealer. Also worth considering is to remove the cylinder and take it to a shop that rebuilds them. They will likely have the correct seals and check/replace the rest of the seals if needed.

Hope this helps!!

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #3  
If you are going to have it apart you had may as well get a full rebuild kit.

I had a very good experience going through Messick's. I had ordered the wrong kit and they exchanged it super fast.

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal
Messick was the first place that came to my mind. I changed a seal once on my neighbors little BX23 Kubota but it's been awhile. I know I can do it, I just want to make sure how before I start on it?

Messick can't help me, they could not find the bH model number and then when they came up with a seal kit, it cost over $400!! There is no way a stabilizer seal kit for a little 2014 New Holland Boomer 24 915GH Backhoe can cost that much? Is there anyone else I can call?

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #6  
Try some industrial supply places like Glands. I have no experience with them but posted only as a route that may be productive.
Be prepared to give them exact dimensions of the cylinder components. IE, 2.00" cylinder bore. Gland OD is 1.999", gland grooves are .0265 wide by .25" deep. O ring is .010" diameter etc. Just be accurate and not "about 1/4" by xxx or whatever.
These parts are findable, just got to find a source beyond a local supply shop.
Good luck.

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #7  
I use Hercules for seals. To the right of the search box is a Kits by Model button.

/ How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #8  
If you can find the part number for the seal kit, search it on Ebay. I've had good success with finding seal kits for my Case backhoe...and I've replaced plenty. :rolleyes: Usually quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else.

I open my cylinder up and the problem seal is a small plastic flange piece that I would call a dust seal. It is broken around the outside edge. It is at the end of the shaft where you screw it back together. I assume it has come in contact with a rock or something hard when the stabilizer was retracted? It is just a little larger than a quarter. I attached a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_125422[1].jpg
    IMG_20230317_125422[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
   / How to replace a backhoe stabilizer seal #10  
This dust seal would not cause a leak though. If you had a leak I would dig deeper.