How to mount T&G wood on ceiling...

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife wants to redo our kitchen ceiling (ugh)

Pulling 5/8'ths drywall down. Moving about 6 can lights about 10" (whole reason for project)

Wants to replace drywall with 3/4" tongue & groove pine. Boards will span the entire kitchen (only about 14')

I've put T&G flooring down and had a pneumatic nailer/stapler that I used. I don't have that anymore.

She's thinking we can use finish nails (as in finish nails that you'd use for door trim with the "T" heads)

I'm thinking if we do that, I'm a bit scared about it sagging over time since gravity will always be pulling on the finish nails.

We can use some screws at the edges since that will be covered/hidden by the crown molding that will be installed.

So, the question ultimately is, will the finish nails be enough to hold this to the joists in the ceiling? (16" centers as I recall)

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #2  
I used T&G pine for the ceiling of my shop (the second floor of an old farm outbuilding that I rehabilitated). I used a Paslode finish nailer to face nail the 6" boards to the rafters and collar ties, 18" on center. The attached photo is from 2009. There have been no sagging problems to date.

ceiling2.jpg

Steve

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #3  
Any problems with echoing?

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #4  
You're going to have about 10-11 nails holding up a 14' board. I don't think it would sag with 16" on center. And I don't think it will pull the nails or the nails pull through.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #5  
Liquid nails. Wife will not be able, to make you change it in a few years.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #6  
Yes definitely, I would recommend a power nailer, either electric or pneumatic with 2-1/2" trim nails minimum. With the angle they are driven into the joists through the tongue, the boards will not come loose. They should not sag between joists with a 16" spacing.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #7  
I suspect it will be fun, nailing 14' boards to ceiling. Hopefuly a divorce doesn't result.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #8  
I would be safe - liquid nails on the rafters and pneumatic nail gun with finish nails. 3/4 T & G pine on 16" centers should definitely NOT sag.

Ha,ha - Zerk, you are crafty. I guess that would be yet another advantage to using liquid nails.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #9  
Wife wants to redo our kitchen ceiling (ugh)

Pulling 5/8'ths drywall down. Moving about 6 can lights about 10" (whole reason for project)

Wants to replace drywall with 3/4" tongue & groove pine. Boards will span the entire kitchen (only about 14')

I've put T&G flooring down and had a pneumatic nailer/stapler that I used. I don't have that anymore.

She's thinking we can use finish nails (as in finish nails that you'd use for door trim with the "T" heads)

I'm thinking if we do that, I'm a bit scared about it sagging over time since gravity will always be pulling on the finish nails.

We can use some screws at the edges since that will be covered/hidden by the crown molding that will be installed.

So, the question ultimately is, will the finish nails be enough to hold this to the joists in the ceiling? (16" centers as I recall)
I would recommend NOT using a power nailer for T&G pine on a ceiling.
When working overhead, hand nailing is much more controllable.
You will have no trouble with the pine staying up on the ceiling.
I have a 27' x 44' building, with a fully vaulted T&G (clear satin finish) pine ceiling.

/ How to mount T&G wood on ceiling... #10  
smstonypoint - that looks very nice and the white paint job helps with the illumination. OH, MY - I just noticed - is that a solid oak floor. I do like that and the dark stain you used on it. I don't ever remember a shop being so clean - I think that's cleaner than my kitchen.