How to lube Husq sprocket tip

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #21  
OK, thinking about our bar failures go like this. Most are worn out. One near new one we got fishing line in the sprocket and that marked its end, another one was bent. None had the sprocket bearing flail or were ever greased. All stihl and echo.

Last edited:
   / How to lube Husq sprocket tip #22  
I'd like someone to explain to me how the needle bearings in a sprocket nose can be lubricated by bar oil when the bar oil is flung by centrifugal force away from the sprocket tip...

Why I only buy greaseable sprocket nose bars. Candidly, I don't care what anyone does. What I do and what you do are different things. As an aside, all professional sprocket nose bars like Carleton's for instance, have greaseable noses. What I run, always have. I grease them before every use.
Sure some of it is flung away, when the saw is running at full throttle. But there are times between cuts that none will be flung away and it will drip down, and there is also spray that occurs where the chain hits the roller guide, that will go in all directions.

But if you've found what works for you, I wouldn't change either. For me it would be a hassle carrying the grease around, and cleaning out the port sufficiently enough that I'm convinced I'm not forcing dirt into the bearing.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #24  
I'd like someone to explain to me how the needle bearings in a sprocket nose can be lubricated by bar oil when the bar oil is flung by centrifugal force away from the sprocket tip...

Why I only buy greaseable sprocket nose bars. Candidly, I don't care what anyone does. What I do and what you do are different things. As an aside, all professional sprocket nose bars like Carleton's for instance, have greaseable noses. What I run, always have. I grease them before every use.

Bar and chain oil contains a "sticky" additive.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #25  
Called tackyness and has nothing to do with keeping the needle bearings in a sprocket nose lubricated. Every bar I own (and I have a few), they all have greaseable noses. I won't buy them any other way unless it's a hard nosed bar.. Professional bars (like Carlton's) are all greaseable and the sprocket noses are replaceable too.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #26  
Called tackyness and has nothing to do with keeping the needle bearings in a sprocket nose lubricated. Every bar I own (and I have a few), they all have greaseable noses. I won't buy them any other way unless it's a hard nosed bar.. Professional bars (like Carlton's) are all greaseable and the sprocket noses are replaceable too.
Just be aware that Carlton is no longer in business, or at least the saw and landscaping divisions.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #27  
Bars are still available at Baileys. Have not bought any for a while however. I hear the Japanese bars are good however.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #28  
All 3 of my Carlton sources either switched to Oregon or their own brand last year.

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #29  
Carlton sold out back in 2008 if I recall right to Blount.
Here is where the info on it is saved. But gives you a idea on the history over the years. Blount Carlton History

/ How to lube Husq sprocket tip #30  
Carlton sold out back in 2008 if I recall right to Blount.
Here is where the info on it is saved. But gives you a idea on the history over the years. Blount Carlton History
Blount owned Carlton, Oregon, and Windsor chains along with Frederick which became silver streak mower parts before being combined under the Oregon power equipment name until 2016 when acquired by American Securites and P2 investments. . Several years ago Oregon/blount closed the Windsor line, and then in the last couple years have also discontinued the Carlton line which may line up of the sale of Oregon to Platinum Equity from American Securities in 2021.