How to keep radiators free of grass chaff?

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #21  
If you do this for a living
And really want something that works
FLEXXAIRE fans
Are great they use them at dump site on heavy equipment
And I have put them on weed abatement tractors saved them time and money
You still need to do a good cleaning once in awhile

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #22  
Finer screens plug eventually. Leaf blowing is good and an air nozzle works, too if you remember to do it on time.

But what about prevention ? On many cars now, a reverse fan is used because air no longer is drawn into the radiators from the front, but pushed thru from air coming from behind the motor compartment. Yes, air off the engine is a bit warmer, but the accumulation of dirt, chaff, debris and other schmutz is greatly reduced. I run a feeder fork chain driven fan on my baler to keep the knotter cages clean of buildups. If left outside in heavy dew, the chaff turns to concrete and makes it hard to inspect, repair, and maintain.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #23  
I carry a small leaf blower with me when I'm doing any work that might plug up the radiator. It works great and only takes a minute or two to blow out most everything.
blower also works great for cleaning air filter from inside/out.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #24  
i've just made a deal on a new L4060 Kubota with a cab and A/C, my first cab tractor. troverman

OP: is your new purchase a decrease in hp? regards

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #25  
I like to do my brush hogging before everything goes to seed, much less material in the radiator screen.

If it's dry I can get 90 minutes of cutting done before I need to blow out the radiator. It's a good reason to stretch my legs and get a drink.

Many good suggestions in this thread!

This is exactly what I started doing couple of years ago IE. mow the pasture few weeks earlier than I used to do!

I realize this may not be feasible for commercial operators, but should be doable for most homeowners having this issue.

Last edited:
   / How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #26  
   / How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #27  
Totally off topic, but @big bubba: is your avatar a pic of a thylacine (tasmanian tiger/wolf)?
yes. wonderful creature that fell prey to human activity, like so many species today.
this one pictured i believe is of the last remaining one in captivity. love that their lower jaw can open 90 degrees. i know, off topic, apologize, best regards

Last edited:
   / How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #28  
My Kubota L3540HSTC-3 has two screens, but I don't brush with it anyways. I installed plastic screen on my Kubota B7100DT and my Ferguson TO-35. I brush hog with the Ferguson and the screen works great. I watch the temp and when it goes up I stop at the shop and vacuum it clean. I usually know how long I can go and make sure I'm near the shop when it gets hot. I don't do many hours at a time like most of you do.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #29  
I'm sure a leaf blower works pretty good. its what I use on my lawn mower after every mow.