How to keep radiators free of grass chaff?

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #1  

troverman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000 Cab
I've run Kubotas for years, flail mowing large fields with grass anywhere from 2-3' in height. After some hours of mowing, the temp gauge starts to creep up and will fully overheat if you were to continue. The problem is all the pollen and chaff at the top of the grass lifts as the front of the tractor touches it, and the fan draws it in. Typically the outer plastic grille will plug, along with the radiator screen behind. What I've noticed is that eventually, this chaff gets through the removable screen and into the radiators behind the screen.

Furthermore, at least Kubota is placing other coolers "ahead" of the screen, such as the HST cooler, fuel cooler, etc. These are subject to the full brunt of the chaff, with only the plastic grille providing any shielding.

I've just made a deal on a new L4060 Kubota with a cab and A/C, my first cab tractor. This adds yet another radiator (condenser). Not sure if that will be behind the screen or not, but I'm sure it will also plug up.

Any method to prevent these from getting plugged up as much or as quick, yet without restricting airflow? Best method to clean? I use water when the engine is cool, but it makes a big mess. Sometimes I use a "brush" made of a long plant stalk that can reach in between the coolers, radiator, etc.

Thanks

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #2  
Put a fine screen on the front that wraps around the sides, is accessible, easily removed and cleaned. It will plug up but is cleaned off quickly.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #3  
My 2009 Kubota M6040 came with a fine screen in front of the radiator. Easy to remove - easy to clean.

I remove the screen - blow it off - blow air both ways thru the radiator fins. Once a year - garden hose & nozzle - both ways thru the radiator fins.

I do not bush hog - chaff, dirt & dust have always been minor.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #4  
I never use water to clean dust from a radiator. If any is left behind, it will be even harder to get out because it hardens and will plug up quicker. I always use compressed air from the back side and I do this after every mowing day.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #5  
I never use water to clean dust from a radiator. If any is left behind, it will be even harder to get out because it hardens and will plug up quicker. I always use compressed air from the back side and I do this after every mowing day.
Nothing wrong with water washing the radiator, BUT, do it after air blowing. A good bath always helps both machine and human.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff?
Part of the problem is I'll trailer to a job and the machine will sit there for a week until the job is done. I don't have access to compressed air, etc.

I've heard of people using the fine screen in front of their grille. I might try that.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #7  
Here's what I did for mine. I used some velcro and cut to size filter material. When it gets dirty you can just remove it and shake it off. 20190902_160737.jpeg20190902_160412.jpeg

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff?
That's cool, CowboyRon. I'm also thinking about a forced hot air furnace air filter. About the right size, readily available.

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #9  
That's cool, CowboyRon. I'm also thinking about a forced hot air furnace air filter. About the right size, readily available.

If you’ve never flushed your radiator fins with a hose, you should. You’ll be amazed at how much gunk flows out from what looks like a clean radiator.

I get the same high temp issues you describe when brush hogging about five acres at the end of each summer. If I make sure before I start that the fins are clean, the overheating doesn’t get as bad.

I also carry on the tractor a dryer lint brush (long and thin flexible brush). Helps is getting the chaff off while I’m mowing

/ How to keep radiators free of grass chaff? #10  
At the end of every day, I use one of those Tractor supply extendable wand blow guns to blow out the rad from the fan side and the associated coolers and air to air charge air cooler (mine are both turbo ATA engines). After I blow them out carefully, I hose them out with my pressure washer with the wide fan low pressure nozzle. SOP with me after I check all the fluid levels at the end of each farming day. Use the same blow gun on my hay tools as well but I never wash them off, just grease them and lubricate drive chains. I may add a finer mesh screen to the grill intake as well.