How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #1  

rangerfredbob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L260
My F350 7.3L engine has been leaking diesel worse and worse for a while now (ever since I changed the mechanical lift pump in a rest area a couple years ago) Now it's time to rebuild the transmission that is now also gross, while it's pulled into the shop I will be resealing the pump banjo bolt... but before any of that I need to get it so I can touch things...

So, I've heard simple green or super clean or whatever or even purple power in strong form, that reasonable? Unfortunately the hose isn't really near the shop but I'm sure I can make something work...

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #2  
I use Purple Power full strength in a spay bottle followed by my pressure washer on my tractor engines. Kind of **** about crud. My 97, 7.3 is basically leak free, glad of that. I had to replace the lift pump as well. The Harbor Freight long nose hose clamp pliers will be your friend in the situation. 14 bucks for a set of 3. Sure beats trying to put the hoses on with your fingers...lol

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #3  
Purple Power strong, keep it wet, do not get on paint you ever want to shine again

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine
My '97 has somewhere around 400k on the chassis(maybe 300k on the engine if I believe the guy I got it from) and it's just a tow rig for me for the most part, I like it but it's gutless on mountain passes towing so I get mad at it sometimes... it needs like $4k of stuff done to it to get where it should be (HPOP, stage one injectors, tuner, intercooler and better clutch, just want 300ish hp... my goal is 50mph up our normal mountain pass instead of 38mph, Santiam Pass, look it up, it's a climb...). Step one is rebuilding the transmission and new higher torque clutch of some form (open to suggestions there too, need it done in the next 2 months), if I get frisky might do intercooler since I'm $200 away from that project being done... I'd rather it not leak but I'm pretty sure the engine needs pulled to get it as good as it'll get, one of the engine mount bolts is broke off in the block anyway... I have a heck of a list on my projects...

I do have some purple power stashed, guess I'll get a couple long hoses together so I can get close to the shop with the pressure washer in the next couple weeks...

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #7  
Using a pressure washer with it's own boiler to make hot water is the ticket for cleaning tough grime.

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #8  

Works great and is cheap. You can get it at Dollar General, Family Dollar and others.

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #9  
On my Dodge 5.9L diesel I will try hot water with
Dawn dish soap and a toilet bowl brush. If this
don't work I will try my pressure washer but I don't
have any hot water for it. I can let the sun hear the
water in the hose it gets so hot it will burn you.

willy

/ How to clean up a gooey gross diesel engine #10  
My F350 7.3L engine has been leaking diesel worse and worse for a while now (ever since I changed the mechanical lift pump in a rest area a couple years ago) Now it's time to rebuild the transmission that is now also gross, while it's pulled into the shop I will be resealing the pump banjo bolt... but before any of that I need to get it so I can touch things...

So, I've heard simple green or super clean or whatever or even purple power in strong form, that reasonable? Unfortunately the hose isn't really near the shop but I'm sure I can make something work...
Wet and put some Tide, dry or liquid over it. Let sit, and then spray off with water hose. Could use Simple Green or similar, but it more expensive.