how small is too small?

/ how small is too small? #11  
I have a Kubota KX33-4 with cab on 20 acres. I am 80 now and use it for anything around the place such as dig out stumps, dig out dirt for fill elsewhere, lifting things, dig out rocks. leveling dirt with the blade, push over trees. load tree stumps into tractor bucket and many other tasks. It would never be justified I am sure financially but being able to use in hot weather and cold weather with AC and heat works for me
IMG_1041.jpeg

/ how small is too small? #12  
IMG_1043.jpeg

/ how small is too small? #13  
I don’t see how you can you possibly justify the cost of owning an excavator to use on a 12 acre property. I can hire a bigger machine than that, with an operator, for $150 an hour. How many holes can you dig on 12 acres before you’ve destroyed the place?

Why does it need to be “justified”? You want something, get it. If you cant afford it, work harder.
Pretty much what Hersheyfarm said. If you have the money and want it, buy it. I bought a skid steer b/c I wanted one. Didn't even have property or a reason to buy one. I kept it at a friend's house until I eventually bought some property. Now, it's invaluable. I almost bought a mini-ex at an auction, I kick myself now b/c I didn't.

Running a tractor and/or skid steer is cathartic for me. I don't need a therapist, just give me a tractor and some time. They are a hell of a great tax write-off as well.

/ how small is too small? #14  
I had to rent this one ton excavator for a job. It’s better than a shovel if that’s the baseline for comparison but it’s on small side for doing much I think you’d be a lot happier with a bigger machine.
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2974.JPG