How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors?

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #21  
Mine is a 1999 (maybe 1998?) 2185. Engine blew a head gasket and was using a quart of oil every mowing. Replaced the gaskets on both sides and has been happy this season. Of course, now I have to actually change the oil and not simply add a qt every week...

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #22  
I've got 2 of the 2000 series tractors. One is an LT2180 and the other is a 2185 (I know I have issues) I replaced a 1000 series just to get the shaft drive servicable hydro unit. I have the 2185 taken down to the frame right now to clean/inspect it and it is in great shape. I have been impressed with the 2000 series units so far, much heavier duty than the 1000 I had. I plan on keeping the, for the long haul.

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #23  
I just received information that Club Cadet offers two new lawn tractors which are dealer only versions which are models LTX 1042 KW(18hp,42",$1799 on website) and LTX 1046 KW (21.5hp,46",$1999 on website). Both of these models have Kawasaki V-Twin engines and Club Cadet has a 3yr/120hr and 5yr/500hr limited warranty on these models. On the surface, this sounds like it might be a good deal. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models and can relate to their reliability/durability? How do you think they would compare to a comparable Simplicity Regent tractor? Thanks

I just picked up the LTX KW 1050 with the 23hp Kawasaki engine for $2199. As you say they are new models so it may be hard to find anyone with a lot of experience but for the little I have ran mine, I like it a lot. I shopped other tractors with that engine and it was a good buy.

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #24  
My 2518 runs great and has been very reliable. She has over 600 hours and works perfectly. Got her in 2003 and have been totally satisfied.

Michael

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #25  
I will be buying a new lawn tractor to replace my 8hp Snapper RER which is 28 years old and just went bad on me. I guess I should not complain :). My price range is $1500-$2000. My lawn is 3/4 acre and basically flat. Up to this point, I have not considered the Cub Cadet because I always thought of them as a low end product from Home Depot or Lowes. However, I could be wrong.Could you guys talk about the reliability and durability of these products? What suggestions/input can anyone give me on this matter? Has anyone experienced any reliability/durability problems with this brand as a whole? How has anyone found Cub Cadet manufacturer/retail support in the event of a problem? Does anyone know anything about Columbia lawn tractors? Thanks for your help!

We purchased a Cub Cadet LT1050, (like Timber's) and also in 2005. These came with the Kohler Command Engines. We mow about 4 acres of not so flat land with it...wife says it's the best mower we've ever had. The hour meter now reads 780.4, it still has the original battery, the engine never uses an oil, get about 200 hours out of the belts before they're shot.....Mower is no where near worn out yet....couldn't want much more from a sub $2000 mower...Bob

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #26  
Had a HDS2155 for 14 years upgraded to a GT2550 and I am still a happy little black duck

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #27  
I bought an LT1045 at a big box store in 2006.
The 20HP courage single has knocked since 2009 if I remember correctly.

This mower is the reason I bought a wire welder!
Things kept breaking and falling off of the mower deck.

The version I had was revised a year or two later to include a stiffening bracket on the mower deck idler pulley support bolt.
I later retrofitted this bracket on to mine which solved a lot of the belt throwing problems.

There were several instances of fasteners coming loose in various locations on the machine.

My main concern however was the knocking engine.
I suspected the knock was coming from the counter-balancer.
The knock grew worse with each passing year.

This year with a little over 9 years and 300 hours I traded it in.

My takeaway on this particular mower is that it required a lot of maintenance to keep it running.

I guess Cub has improved their entry level machines since 2006.

Good luck.

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #28  
I don't know about the big box store 1000 series tractors. I've read that they are designed for a 5 year lifespan. My first one was a 1978 1450 single cylinder Kohler engine. It was made by International Harvester and lasted 1400 hours and 26 years. My second (current one) one is a 2004 3235, built by MTD, and has 539 hours with the original battery yet. It has a 25 HP Kohler Command twin engine which blew a head gasket a few years ago. The head bolts were not tight enough. I had a leaking hydraulic lift valve which cost $600 for the dealer to repair. The right cylinder is burning oil and I have to add oil occasionally and clean the spark plug once or twice a year. Other than that it's run well the past 11 years. It's built much heavier than the 1000 series and weighs about 1200 lbs. The 54 inch deck weighs 260 lbs and is a chore to remove and clean annually.

Bob B.

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #29  
I have a 1995 2284 with 900 hours on it. Kohler command ch23 engine in it. It has had no issues. Just normal maintanance. Even at 20 years old it's still solid and will kick the crap out of the big box mowers any day. They just don't build them like this anymore. I have the 60" fabricated haban deck on it and it makes the lawn look like a golf course but is just as happy bush hogging through the woods. Nothing stops it. Only problem now is getting replacement parts as things do wear out or get damaged.

/ How reliable and durable are Cub Cadet lawn tractors? #30  
Recently did a bit of work to the cutting deck and changed the engine oil and filter on out 700hr 2000 series 2166. very happy with the machine, fires up first start.
nice condition for a 20 year old machine.

one of the cutter spindles grease nipples was broken off. seems they are a press fit so i tapped it out M6 (we are in metric country here) and placed a threaded nipple in situ. also hit all the crusty areas with a wire wheel and sealed with some kill rust enamel. Love that the spindles have replaceable tapered roller bearings.

the crappy headlight lense is long gone and i decided to make a custom one up with some Makrolon sheet. rather than affix it to the fragile tabs i used some bumper clips to attach it in the middle of the lense. will take a pretty big branch to bust it of now.

got some LED BA15s globes coming to give a bit more light without extra heat and power consumption.

only gripe is i wish the 16hp single cylinder kohler commander was a little bit quiter.

cub.jpg