Oil & Fuel how long to store diesel?

/ how long to store diesel? #1  

2516mo

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 mahindra 2516 gear
I know the problems with storing gas and the problems that causes, but have not heard much about storing diesel. With fuel prices they are it is tempting to have a little more on hand. What are some good rules to follow with diesel.
Thanks!

/ how long to store diesel? #2  
I keep my diesel off cement floor/ground couple inches or so less chance of condensation.

/ how long to store diesel? #3  
This has come up before. The links to similar thread that appear below this one might help.
Sometimes it's easier for me to post a question and look at the links that pop up than to find them in a search.

/ how long to store diesel?
Thanks for the heads up...It didn't occur to me to keep it off the floor...will get that fixed!

/ how long to store diesel? #5  
The turn over of diesel is unpredictable in my case, i.e. just being a homeowner. Thus, for example, without much snow so far this season the tractor just sits week after week. Yet, after six years experience in the matter, I've found that my 25 gallons of either summer or winter diesel goes from season to season without any complications. I put the white bottle of Power Service in every 5 gallon container after bringing it to my shed. I store it outdoors on a wood pallet year 'round.
Cheers,
Mike

/ how long to store diesel? #6  
Add a biocide and anti-gel if you live in a cold climate, and you should get at least 2-3 years out of it. Best option is to keep the tank topped off so there is no place for condensation to form.

/ how long to store diesel? #7  
Like the above post, the best thing you can do is keep all tanks/fuel cans as full as possible. The moisture is in the air, and the less air the better... Supposeably diesel will 'store' better than gas, but I like fresh fuel. I park my Dodge Cummins each winter [ to keep it out of as much salt as possible ] with a full tank and some Power Service. In the spring, I take it out for a maiden cruise and feel like a kid with a new bike. But the first time I have to fill up with fresh fuel.... there is definitely a different smell... and more snap [ motor sounds more crisp when she fires ] in the new fuel.

/ how long to store diesel? #8  
I keep my diesel off cement floor/ground couple inches or so less chance of condensation.

I don't think it is a matter of keeping your storage can/tank off the ground, I think it is more a matter of controlling the temperature swing between the fuel and the surrounding air. Rather than worrying about whether or not the storage vessel is touching the ground - I'd be more concerned with keeping it shielded from the Sun and keeping an 'insulating cushion' of air around it.

If you keep your fuel tank out of direct Sunlight, then it is less apt to gain radiate heat. Once heated, then when "the Sun goes away" the fuel tank cools causing outside air to be drawn in through the tank vent. In addition, if your fuel tank is not vented - and it's sealed tight - it CANNOT draw in moisture-containing outside air nor allow the lighter hydrocarbon components from separating & evaporating out. You just must be sure the container can withstand the pressure changes/buildup when the fuel is heated or it could begin leaking or even burst. A 55-gallon drum outfitted with good bung plugs is a great storage vessel and can be sealed up tight preventing components from leaving or moisture from moving in.

While it is true that temperature gains & losses can & will occur to a fuel storage tank when sitting on the ground, these temperature swings can & will occur when on a pallet with air all around it as well. If your storage vessel must be vented, then the next best thing to do is control the temperature of the air around the storage tank. Draping a tarp over a tank helps, but if the tarp is touching the tank, temperature changes will still be conducted into the fuel tank. A silver tarp is better than a black tarp. Ideally, if you maintain at least an inch or two of air space between the tank and the outside Sun shield (tarp), there should be minimal temperature gains/losses. So, Keep the Sun off of your storage vessels & keep them sealed up to the point of not causing it to leak/burst.

These are kinda pricey, but they work! 2 Inch VGII® Steel Pressure-Relieving Drum Vent Plug | Drum Plug | Vent Plug | Steel Drum Yep, these plugs are not drip-proof, so you have to store the drums in an upright position. I like the fact they only let pressure out - releasing at 9psi, and re-sealing at 3psi, thus, do NOT let moist air in. One more thing, if using 55-gallon drums for storage, try to prevent water from sitting on their tops. Water will rust the tops and bung plugs; and ice built up inside a spring-loaded bung plug is not what you want either! But this isn't a problem if you have maintained your tarp shield over the drums, correct? :2cents:

I agree with the suggestion made by 's219',,, I also would add a biocide and anti-gel. Around here, a drum of fuel is worth too much $$ not to treat it!

BarnieTrk :dance1:

/ how long to store diesel? #9  
Barnie makes some good points that I use for storage viz., my shed is among the pine trees which prevents such a wide swing in temperature. The 5 gallon containers, on a wood homemade pallet just 2 inches off the ground, are surrounded by a silver tarp draped over another piece of plywood. For a small usage homeowner this works for me. If one was using a lot more fuel, this would be a PITA. I log about 100 hours per season.

Last edited:
   / how long to store diesel? #10  
When diesel got below $3/Gal I bought another 55-gal metal drum to increase my storage capacity to 160 gallons. I have two drums and one 50-gal pickup bed tank I primarily use to haul fuel from the station to the property. I have found I typically use about 60gals/year in my tractor and have had no problem with using fuel as old as two years. I treat the fresh diesel with a double dose of PS white and use an electric pump with a water filter to fill the tractor. In the last 5-years I have never seen any water accumulate in the filter so I do not believe condensation is that big of issue. However both my tanks are protected from the sun and wx. I believe the temp change discussion is dead on concerning condensation. My biggest concern about adding more fuel storage was fire hazard however it occurred to me there would not be much difference in the damage caused by 50 or 200 gallons of diesel.