How long has the RTV been made?

/ How long has the RTV been made? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
This thread is a result of something said in Rapracings post about the durablity of the RTV. I didn't want to hijack his thread so I decided to start a new one as I am curious about this.

How long has the RTV been on the market? I am not trying to be negative in any way but am curious as so many people say how durable it is but it doesn't seem like the RTV has been on the market very long to know how it is going to hold up over the long haul.

As best as I can remember the Gator was the first UTV offered on a large scale (10+ years ago?) and that model is still selling. I don't recall seeing more UTV's being offered till 4-5 years ago and the last few years the UTV population has exploded with offerings from just about everyone.

One other thing I have noticed, a lot of the RTV's are bought by horse owners and used around their farms. There are a few guys on here that use them in more fun areas but it seems most of the XUV's, Rangers and others are bought for hunting and playing in more challenging terrains which will lead to more breakdowns.

Please, I do not want to argue, only open up a discussion about this and maybe someone will be able to find some stats showing durabilty ratings or something like that (though I very much doubt it:( )

Take care guys and congrats on your new RTV Rap:)

/ How long has the RTV been made? #2  
Good thread Robert. Personally I like the RTV.
I wish owners would post video's of the RTV in action.
Whats up with that? The only time you see the RTV it's stopped.

The RTV looks awesome setting on top of a pile of snow. :)

/ How long has the RTV been made? #3  
04 wasn't it?

/ How long has the RTV been made?
darkday said:
04 wasn't it?

If I knew that I wouldn't have asked now would I ;) :D :D :D

/ How long has the RTV been made? #5  
I am not sure how long they have been built but the Kubota diesel engine and transmission that are in the RTV are proven pieces of equipment long before the RTV. The diesel is going to outlast gas that is just a fact.

The frame and suspension are much heavier build than the fun (fast) machines. I purchased the RTV for farm work, hauling wood and hunting. I will also use it for just going for a ride with the wife. I am not interested in going fast, jumping, rolling over or any of that fun stuff.

As I said in the other post after looking at the machines the RTV is better built. That is why it is heavier, more meat. I have two other machines with hydrostatic transmissions in them and absolutely love them.

I am not basing my statement on any track record I have seen, only on the machines that I have looked at. Not to say there isn't something else out there but I looked at the mule (second choice), ranger, yamaha and deere and this was the one that looked like it was going to hold up.

If someone wants to go fast and have a rip and tear time the RTV is not the machine for them. The dealer made it very clear when I was looking that it would not be the machine for anyone wanting to "have fun".

Hope this helps!

/ How long has the RTV been made? #6  
rapracing said:
The dealer made it very clear when I was looking that it would not be the machine for anyone wanting to "have fun".
Same thing I heard from my Kubota dealer. What's up with that? :rolleyes:

Skipholiday said:
Good thread Robert. Personally I like the RTV.
I wish owners would post video's of the RTV in action.
Whats up with that? The only time you see the RTV it's stopped.

The RTV looks awesome setting on top of a pile of snow. :)

I agree, I like the RTV but I also like all the other UTV's out there. I would not hesitate to own any one model if it fits my needs better then the others. The only product I am really loyal to is Ford trucks and that is for two reasons, I get the family discount and I have been raised around them all my life. I have had as good a luck if not better then my friends and their GM's and Dodge's also. Basically, they are all good but you will get a few lemons here and there regardless of the emblem on front.

I have some concerns with the RTV (suspension, traction and transmission) but then again I have some concerns about each of the UTV's on the market. When it is time to demo them I hope to answer my concerns with each model. I do know when I mention my concerns about the RTV some people are very protective of this model. The RTV does look like it is built like a tank and its listed weight confirms it at least weighs as much;) I really would not hesitate to buy one if it works out as I want a bright color and Orange would really stand out. This is why I was drawn to the Husqvarna as it is orange, has a Kubota diesel and a better suspension for riding. I don't ever see myself hauling gravel or stone with the UTV but it will be hauling apples, grapes and other vegetables so I keep looking at the box dimensions as the bigger the better.

rapracing said:
I am not sure how long they have been built but the Kubota diesel engine and transmission that are in the RTV are proven pieces of equipment long before the RTV. The diesel is going to outlast gas that is just a fact.

The frame and suspension are much heavier build than the fun (fast) machines. I purchased the RTV for farm work, hauling wood and hunting. I will also use it for just going for a ride with the wife. I am not interested in going fast, jumping, rolling over or any of that fun stuff.

As I said in the other post after looking at the machines the RTV is better built. That is why it is heavier, more meat. I have two other machines with hydrostatic transmissions in them and absolutely love them.

I am not basing my statement on any track record I have seen, only on the machines that I have looked at. Not to say there isn't something else out there but I looked at the mule (second choice), ranger, yamaha and deere and this was the one that looked like it was going to hold up.

If someone wants to go fast and have a rip and tear time the RTV is not the machine for them. The dealer made it very clear when I was looking that it would not be the machine for anyone wanting to "have fun".

Hope this helps!

Hi Rap, don't take this thread as anything you said in yours. It is something that has been said over and over. I almost think like you kind of pointed out (with the engine being around for a long time), that the RTV is being accepted more or less because of its name alone.

Also, why does there seem to be a negative attitude towards people who want to have fun with their UTV's as well as work them? I would think Kubota would work on meeting that market also as they can basically keep their machine the same but put on a better suspension and a front locker and call it the RTV sport. Just look at the sales they would get since a lot of guys buy the XUV because of these two reasons. Just the front locker alone would gain them a lot of sales. I am not an engineer but I wouldn't think it would be that hard to add the front locker to the RTV.

/ How long has the RTV been made? #9  
I didn't intend a negative attitude toward those wanting a machine that goes fast and is light and agile, the race horse you might say. There is definately a market for that but I think with Kubota's background with their other machines they are addressing a market for the workhorse machine. I think in order to address the market you are talking about they would need another model to do so. I am not the marketing guro for them so really don't know their train of thought but I am sure they have reasons for doing what they do the way they do it.

I seriously thought about the Ranger, just to have the option of going fast and ripping around. I have had four wheelers, snowmobiles, dirt bikes and street bikes and love the thrill of having fun as well. I am getting older and some would say wiser and don't really need the thrills anymore. Heck, I might have a heart attack and never get to use it.

I know there are other good machines that serve a different purpose and also I am sure others that would be similar to the RTV. There are probably some junk machines as well.

It is best, if you are buying one not to buy based on what others say is "the best machine" as we know there are several good machines, but on what is going to serve your purpose and make you happy. If I could afford it, I may have a fast fun machine as well but at this time one is going to have to do.

Happy New Year!!!!

/ How long has the RTV been made? #10  
rapracing said:
It is best, if you are buying one not to buy based on what others say is "the best machine" as we know there are several good machines, but on what is going to serve your purpose and make you happy.
Agreed :)