How do you prep for future power outages?

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #51  
Sorry. Maybe I'm just really bad at expressing myself. Whole house, whole farm, that's not the point. Is Every last thing being used or almost nothing? BIG DIFFERENCE in genset requirment. Just for instance, if you absolutely NEED a good sized compressor, electric pressure washer or welder welder during an outage, that really changes things.

I would say, MOST people with larger "Whole House" gensets would be shocked if they looked at a KW meter to see how little their rig is actually generating.

You are right on that. My dad put a 20Kw unit in about ten years ago. According to him, he put a caliper on the incoming line after shutting down for a day. Even with two big heat pump units, several fridges and freezers, he was only drawing a few kilowatts. I agree the perception of load is exponentially higher than the actual load. I figure it’s better to have more than not enough. The costs for gensets aren’t tremendously different, and they all take similar electrical and gas connections.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #52  
You are right on that. My dad put a 20Kw unit in about ten years ago. According to him, he put a caliper on the incoming line after shutting down for a day. Even with two big heat pump units, several fridges and freezers, he was only drawing a few kilowatts. I agree the perception of load is exponentially higher than the actual load. I figure it’s better to have more than not enough. The costs for gensets aren’t tremendously different, and they all take similar electrical and gas connections.
Not always. My underground gas line, installed about 18 years ago can support a 22KW.
I built an attached 3 car garage, covered porch and mud room for my neighbor. His gas line was installed 40 years ago. It would not support a 22KW he had hope we would install. His generator was less than 1/2 the size.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #53  
I guess if you have lots of money or aren't "cheap" then bigger is better. But if you can have a little diesel keeping you out of the dark, warm showers and hot food, fridges/freezers kept cold AND there isn't any appreciable fuel cost adding up day after day in extended outages, well that's my cup of tea.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #54  
And, let’s not forget the frequency of outages. Frankly, if mine went out 1 or 2 times a year, I’d have a portable.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #55  
absolutely agree. Problem is starting loads. A well can run on 20 amps, but may draw 60a for a second while starting. I size generators to starting loads, not connected loads. Than you may have a well and water heater and ac start at same time. That’s where load shedding delays come in.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #56  
@grsthegreat, isn't that why generators have two numbers? One for short, transient demand and another for running power? Mine has a 6875W maximum and 5500W running power.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #57  
@grsthegreat, isn't that why generators have two numbers? One for short, transient demand and another for running power? Mine has a 6875W maximum and 5500W running power.
Yes, but when dealing with automatic start and transfer units, I have to show the inspector paperwork verifying the unit can handle multiple loads starting at same time WITHOUT shutting down generator. on my own unit last summer, I had just happened to have fuel guage and monitoring equipment hooked onto my 22kw unit. I was able to see real time numbers. The ac starting previously would bump my unit to 20KW momentarily..... without anything else working. Meaning if i had other big units hooked up and running there could have been an issue. Since than I added a soft start to the ac which dropped startup to about 9kw surge. I did notice that my generator ran for 13 hours, averaged only 5.2 kw and used 19 gal of propane. I only let it run cause my wife had her large quilting group occupying the basement. Happy wife happy life

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #58  
The house we bought has a 22Kw Generac standby generator. It runs on natural gas. It has a smart switch.

We have lived here a little over a year and have had no power outages.

MoKelly

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #59  
original question: I have two portable gasoline gensets. One purchased 25 years ago. 4KW with 220 to run the well pump and anything else. Then 5 years ago bought a 3kw Honda inverter for camping.
Now, When the power goes out, I run the Honda for TV, internet, lights, refrigerator & freezer. Run it all night for Cpap machine. If power is out for extended time (more than a day), then the 4Kw is brought out for water. Hot showers through a propane water heater. If the outage is during the Summer, we retreat to the RV and its a/c unit. Don't have capacity for the house heat pump.

I keep 20 gallons of gasoline for various small engines. But there's 30 gallons in the truck's tank if needed.

/ How do you prep for future power outages? #60  
The house we bought has a 22Kw Generac standby generator. It runs on natural gas. It has a smart switch.

We have lived here a little over a year and have had no power outages.

MoKelly
Being prepared always wards off adversity.