How can I be sure the check will be good?

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #71  
I also wouldn't take a money order; it's too easy to fake those.
So are certified checks……
I would only take one from a local bank in person, in the bank for that amount of money.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #72  
It's been a few years for me but I recall they wouldn't cash ithe check for me. That's why I have people open an account at a branch of the same bank I use. Then we go into my branch together and the teller can switch cash, without counting it out, from his account to mine and it's a done deal.

The teller will often want to write you a cashier's check instead but I don't want that. I'm the seller of the item and not the guarantor of the buyers funds so it's not my problem.

Now, if you're desperate for the sale, you may want to bend the rules and that's OK but know that's the situation some con people try to get you into. You drop your guard and that's how it works. Most people are honest but some are not and that's life. Trust, but verify.

I turn down sales every now and then and that momentarily annoys the buyer but in a way makes them want the item even more. Kind of like in high school where the more you don't want to go out with someone the more they want to go out with you. And the reverse.
"High school" ???
That was 64 years ago!

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #73  
I sold my 2019 L3301 for $19,500 back in March of this year. I told the guy (who was local) that once the check cleared (registered in my checking account) he could come get the tractor. Took 2 business days.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #74  
I like to meet at the guy's bank and have him take out cash. While keeping an eye on the cash in his hand, have him turn it over to me. I have done similar with a cashier's check. Then go straight to your bank and deposit. Little to no risk this way.

If it happens to also be your bank, just deposit it immediately

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #75  
I didn't read all 69 replies but was in business over 40 years.
Far and away here's your best bet:
Ask the buyer up front (on phone before he arrives) how he intends to pay. Tell him the transaction will occur at your bank (cash) or his bank (check). Cash, your bank can count and counterfeit scanned. His bank his check can immediately be cashed, again counted and scanned.
I assume as is, no warranty so that can be written up, signed and witnessed at either bank.
Where I live we're 10-15 minutes away from most major bank branches so it's easy, if it's farther out for you I'd factor that into price for your time.
For $10K I'd only transfer at a bank. My 2c.
So what would one do selling to an out of state buyer, several hours away, who wants to use a check?
Heres what I did. This was for a $23,000 Meyer spreader. He wouldn’t do cash, and I couldnt blame him. $23k is a lot to carry 400 miles.
I told him, I would take his banks certified check, IF he would have his bank send me a letter attesting that the buyer had sufficient funds to cover their $23,000 check. Not only did the bank comply, but the bank branch manager called me to verify they were a customer in good standing and even though they were a good customer, there was no way they could stop the funds once the check was written to my business.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #76  
We have a very simple business philosophy: In God We Trust; All Others Pay Cash.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #77  
I just sold my camper. $3500. Told the guy cash only and we would meet at dmv to do the deal and use their notary to transfer the title. He understood, no problem, good guy.

I would not allow the camper to leave my property until the title was transferred, mostly for insurance purposes.

Funny, a $3500 POS camper has a title but not a $50K tractor.

Just another application for block chain, register all tractors anonymously on the block chain, just like every bitcoin is registered and owned, anonymously . No banks, no lawyers, no escro, no govt, no phony checks.

/ How can I be sure the check will be good?
Just another application for block chain, register all tractors anonymously on the block chain, just like every bitcoin is registered and owned, anonymously . No banks, no lawyers, no escro, no govt, no phony checks.
What is 'block chain'?

/ How can I be sure the check will be good? #80  
Vapor bux. Non existant. Smoke and mirrors.

Ain't NOBODY keepin' my money AND the product in their possession for any amount of time. Ain't a 'gonna happen, no how, no way, no day.

How many mattresses do you own?

MoKelly